Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Which would you choose? U87 or Blueberry?

Hi, now I know all about Neumann's great reputation etc. etc., but I also have read many great reviews of the Blue mics. For lower-range male vocals and acoustic guitar, would you choose a Neumann 87 or a Blueberry...if those were your only two choices... I don't want to start a mic debate. I heard a demo cd comparing the Blue mics to eachother and a few including the 87 and I was quite impressed with the Blueberry. Were my ears off that day or is that mic right up there with the U87, but just half the price or am I just a knucklehead with bad hearing? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
thanks,
Steve
Old 12-15-2002, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Which would you choose? U87 or Blueberry?

All I can say is I love my u87.
Still waiting to get a good mic pre, maybe Universal Audio 2-610 or Millennia STT-1.
But as I'm sure you know you need different brushes for different paint and jobs.
It seems as though the u87 is high end all in one mic. If I had the money I'd get a Sony C800g.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:58 PM

I love my U87ai. I use it all the time - it is one of my favorite vocal mics - even when compared with other more expensive mics. Of course, sometimes they win too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Having said that, I also have to say that I don't love the U87 on acoustic guitar. I'm a fan of small diaphragm condensers like the Neumann km184 for acoustic guitar.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:13 AM

U87 works for 90% of vocalists. I don't know the blueberry. I wouldn't use the U87 as a first choice on an acoustic; I prefer small diaphragms too.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:22 AM

i guess i'll chime in for the blueberry.
i have a blueberry and run it through a 737. It really has good tone and high end sheen. However, it loses low end depth very quickly (greater than 10-12 inches) when the singer backs away (proximity effect), but when you get a singer on top of it, it will beautifully cut through anything and have so much clear presence.
It doesn't have that "sock over the mic" kinda feel that some 87s have a reputation for. If you don't have a great room acoustically to track in, I would choose the blueberry. If you do have a great room, I would still consider the blueberry and then add a shure sm81 for emergencies on some instruments.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:31 PM

Gotta throw in my vote for the Blue Kiwi on this on...same price range as the 87, and won out to my ear. Awsome mic.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:18 AM

tried the baby bottle and all three of us here thought it was crap. I know it's a different league but I'd think twice onanything from the blue range
Old 12-19-2002, 11:17 AM

I haven't tried the blueberry, but I've found it best to stick with 'tried and true' products when buying hardware. neumann has proven the test of time. I was in a similar situation where I had to choose the between the u87 and other newer mics. in the end I went for the u87 and I couldn't be happier with it.

the only other 'modern' mics I haven't ended up selling has been soundelux and royer... excellent sound and workmanship from both companies.

hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:50 PM

My 2 cents.. I've got U87's and just went looking for an anti u87... I ended up with an AT4060. My initial comparisons are exactly what I expected. The 4060 has an extended low end but not boomy and the top has just enough sparkle to it. The reason I got the 4060 is that while the 87 is a great mic it sounds like it has this midrange thing around 800 hz or that is not pleasing on some voices.. The 4060 is more open in that range. It also is a tube that can take the hard edge off some voices.
I'll know more after a good run in the studio with various voices.. It's bit of a pain to get it in and out of the shock mount though.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:19 PM

I have a AT4047 also. Which is a good mic. I found it a bit harsh in the sibilants compared to the u87ai which I got about a year later. I don't know about the Blue, BTW I couldn't take a mic seriously named after a fruit.
To me the u87ai is very open, sensitive, and captures all the nuance of the voice. I would still like to get a tube mic pre.

But hey, there you have it. Everyone here has an opinion on what they like. You are gonna have to listen for yourself and see what you like.
I wanted a u87 because it is accepted as a standard.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]