Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2001, 04:23 PM

Default Re: No More TLM 103 for me!

sounds like a problem in shielding. try another cable or to get the micpre very close to the mic= very short cable.

i had a similar problem and cured it with a new cable. and now i miss the taxi speech on my recordings

BTW, a nice mic to try is the CAD E-350.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:45 PM

I heard the Sondelux new 47 copy was 'best in show' at AES NYC.

I find a good companion for the TLM to be an HHB radius 40.
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-14-2001, 08:42 PM

The KSM-32 is a great mic, but I find doesn't really compare to a TLM103. They are both great mics, just the KSM32 has a more airy sizzly top end while the TLM103 has a more open midrange, making them a bit different for vocal applications.

I say fix the humming problem and get a KSM32 too.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:29 AM

Well guys in turns out that it is my cable.
Today I went and bought a Gotham Gac Mic Cable and wired as previous mentioned.

No more hum. If I move the cable around it still gets some hum in certain places but it's definately manageable.

Thanks Everyone
Old 12-15-2001, 05:55 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AidasZK:
Also, the KSM-32 is by Sure, however, the KSM-44 is the same mic, just with selectable polar patterns for not much more money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a minor correction. The KSM32 has a much smaller diaphram than the KSM44. But I like the advice above, it is good to have both (plus a TLM103). I bought my KSM44 before the TLM103 because it had lower self noise than the Neuman and it had the multipattern dual diaphram. In my personal opinion I have liked the 32 better for young female, and the 44 better for males.
1-603-867-6843
Old 12-15-2001, 10:43 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
Fletcher recommended the Soundelux U99.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow. I was about to recommend the Soundelux U99 after hearing you describe the mic you are looking for. Fletcher beat me to it. synchronicity! I bought mine a few years ago and haven't looked back once. it really shines on female vocals. it's one of those mics that allows you to hear INTO the music. it's deep and detailed and dimensional, the triple d's!
Old 12-16-2001, 07:36 PM

Try getting your hands on 3 conductor shielded mic cable, use the 3rd wire to carry the ground as the shiled would and connect the shield only at the input. This will isolate any rf better since the shield is independent. if your gounding is good at the input you should elimnate the problem. I have some original cable like this that I got from Gotham (100 footers) with my u87's in 1974 still in use.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:47 PM

Russ M

Just curious who suggested that.

Gotham Audio told me to seperate the shield into 2 parts. Combine one part with one of the wires and connect to #1. Then connect the other part to the ground lug.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:37 PM

You have the "neutral" of the audio circuit on pin one and the mic grounded to the shield (or the shield not connected to the mic just acting as a shield).

Both ways will work.I'm not sure which would give better RF shielding. I think most people use the shield as the pin one neutral.

At the Gotham web site: http://www.gotham.ch/gac/gacindex.htm
they recommend both shields connected to pin 1 with two lines to pin 2 and two lines to pin 3. The two pair lines are twisted to get rid of more RF.

They also do talk about wiring the third line in a three wire cable to act as a drain for phantom power without using the shield for that purpose.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:06 AM

ProducerHer

The 3 wire thing is something I picked up along the way. I've been doing this since the early 60's so who knows where it realy came from. But I've also used the method on speaker wires with 2 cod. plus shield where the speakers were producing audio (radio station) with the amp off. The system was located next to a radio transmiter.
You can also, as suggested, try to tie the shield at both ends but don't tie it to pin 1, only to the ground lug on the XLR's. Keep the shield tied to the chassis/case only.

Russ