Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2023, 03:35 AM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphonz View Post
Hi all,

PT + Sonoma running here: 14.1.1.

Has anyone else experienced CPU/fans going crazy when you either instantiate a send or a plugin, open/close a folder, add tracks or change any routing? I'm wondering if this is in fact graphics related.

This seems to be happening to me on multiple projects. If it's a big one I can't do any of those things while listening or it'll stop playback. The fans go nuts and take a good few seconds to calm down again, at which point you can safely press play. Opening the CPU meter shows some crazy results.

I'm on an intel hackintosh with an RX580 graphics card so I'm not sure if it's OS related, PT related or just part of my hacked setup. However, it wasn't happening on Ventura.
Hi all, I just wanted to report that I've updated to 14.1.2 and this CPU issue I mentioned here seems to have gone away.

The GUI still seems a little bit sluggish but otherwise it's all working well.

I'll be waiting for the public release of 14.2 before updating to that rather than trying the beta.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:18 AM

At this point I feel confident updating. I'll post here if there are notable issues.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:06 AM

Cannot wait for 14.2 right? Should be out any day now
Old 12-11-2023, 10:47 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
At this point I feel confident updating. I'll post here if there are notable issues.
Hi there Eric et al......

I do know that Sonoma will not be supported with the next Pro Tools release coming – the engineers are working on it but there are too many known issues which we will be publishing in a knowledge base article when that release comes out ( dont ask as I cant tell :))

While the Sonoma 14.2 update will fix some of these issues, it remains to be seen if that is enough to post-qual what's coming from us with Sonoma.

Keep focused on the Pro Tools forum for updates from Tope.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 12-11-2023, 12:04 PM

I greatly appreciate your posts here, Mariana! They've been frank and helpful. I was just about to update to Sonoma this week but will hold off. I'm having some unrelated Finder-level issues with Ventura, so there's a hint of urgency for me, but I don't want to break ProTools.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Cannot wait for 14.2 right? Should be out any day now
It's out now.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I greatly appreciate your posts here, Mariana! They've been frank and helpful. I was just about to update to Sonoma this week but will hold off. I'm having some unrelated Finder-level issues with Ventura, so there's a hint of urgency for me, but I don't want to break ProTools.
I would wait myself as I have done on Media Composer too. Keep your eye peeled ... news is coming.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 12-12-2023, 01:10 PM

After poking around a little after installing today, both

Sonoma 14.2
and
Pro Tools 2023.12,

on my 2020 iMac,

I am happy to report one thing very, very much!!!

Whatever combination of MacOS and PT started doing it, plus my UI, screen resolution, and mouse pointer size customizations, today I was able to calmly roll my trackball around clips and timelines.

My mouse pointer no longer hits spastic pixels where the pointer fluctuates and flashes at some inharmonic strobe frequency!

This was not purely a PT issue, but the flashing might have been easy to notice that time closely lining up fades and other edits was wasted for distraction and cursing at the on-screen pointer.

This will result in a bit more nervous system peace while editing.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-12-2023, 02:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
After poking around a little after installing today, both

Sonoma 14.2
and
Pro Tools 2023.12,

on my 2020 iMac,

I am happy to report one thing very, very much!!!

Whatever combination of MacOS and PT started doing it, plus my UI, screen resolution, and mouse pointer size customizations, today I was able to calmly roll my trackball around clips and timelines.

My mouse pointer no longer hits spastic pixels where the pointer fluctuates and flashes at some inharmonic strobe frequency!

This was not purely a PT issue, but the flashing might have been easy to notice that time closely lining up fades and other edits was wasted for distraction and cursing at the on-screen pointer.

This will result in a bit more nervous system peace while editing.
Awesome news! I haven't tried it yet ( 2023.12 and Sonoma ) but will as soon as it quiets down a bit in PT land.

Happy holidays.
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 12-14-2023, 08:04 AM

I have been using Sonoma 14.2 with Pro Tools 2023.12.0 & Eucon 2023.11.0.121 and whilst it generally is okay, I have found a lot of things not working so well.

Mostly minor and not total show stoppers but still frustrating, like plugin windows opening on different tracks than selected - and a few plugin's custom mappings seem to be messed up with lots of unspecified parameters

Soundflow is not functioning well at all sadly. Definitely avoid.

I would advise avoiding Sonoma too for now for serious work.

Last edited by Chevron; 12-14-2023 at 11:43 PM.