Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Cloning question

BTW, KingFish, which versions of 10.4 were the bad ones for Disk Utility?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrambo View Post
Thanks for the post KingFish. I was wondering if there are any issues with creating a Disk Image of an entire hard drive, and saving it to the same drive that you are imaging. Is this bad practice? Also, how do you go about restoring an image of a drive and replacing the old one?

Well you can't "Image A drive" and store the result "On itself" - WHILE you're creating it. You can't Restore "From it" to the volume "It's on", and if you just drag the Image there, to "Store" it, for Backup purposes, the same philosophy of.. "if you keep your backups in the same building as your masters, you don't REALLY have a backup"

It's TERRIBLE saying, but if I'm flying from NYC to Nashville with Masters that were just recorded on that trip, I always courier a safety ahead.... "If the Plane Goes Down" - and I've got the Masters AND the Safety, someone's still got a record !

Guess I'm saying, THAT drive goes down... your Backup Image is gone too,

I'd always KEEP Images, on separate drives, for easy archiving and Restoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS View Post
BTW, KingFish, which versions of 10.4 were the bad ones for Disk Utility?

Thanks,
Jeff
I THINK 10.4.5 - 10.4.7 "Shipped Disks" had a Bad Disk Utility with the Installers, that was Fixed by the 10.4.8 Software Update - I'm not 100% sure - just remember it being nasty !

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Just started using SD, and it works great!! an someone chime in with any compression settings for it? Are you using DU to restore from SD?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM

I started out with CCC and had some problems with it cloning a boot drive. Switched to SuperDuper and won't look back. It does what it's supposed to do!!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Also brings up a point here, that we're always "Cloning Volumes" here, NOT 'Drives"

A bit of knowledge about Partition Maps, And OS X's Booting requirements will go a long way, troubleshooting with ANY of these apps.

If you try to restore an Image of your Macintosh HD volume, from an Intel machine, to a Drive you haven't Partitioned using a GUID Partition Scheme, it won't boot. CCC, SD, or DU - won't matter.

For your Restore to be "Bootable" - the Drive needs it's Partition Scheme, set to...

PPC - Apple Partition Map
Intel - GUID
Win - Master Boot Record

Just a little extra unsolicited advice on this thread.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Nobody using Time Machine for backup the hole system?

You can restore the last state of your system to a new harddisk if any problems happens...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM

SuperDuper for me, we have had great success with this app, it has never let us down. When you use an app like this for production you have to be 100% sure it will work, for us SD performs. The Smart update feature saves time by not needing to clone the whole volume each time. The ability to schedule the backup is also great for servers.
Best of all, if your drive fails, simply boot from the clone until you have time to replace the bad drive.
Time Machine does not allow bootable backups and I have heard that the restore from a TM backup can take a long time, something that is incompatible with a production environment.
my 2c
Simon L
Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM

I don't have much experience with Time Machine. I'll probably buy a Time Capsule in the next year or so, and back up my MacBookPro with it. That's where all my e-mails, iTunes Catalog, photos, personal documents etc... exist.

I don't really want Time machine "Running" on my HD Rig - I'd rather do Manual, complete Backups, once a month, for as simple as it is. I also swap System Drives with a new (Usually larger one) weather it needs it or not, once a year.

I also keep that "Month Old Clone" - restored to one of the 4 Drives in my MacPro - so there is 2 System Drives.

Great for Updating OS's, or if there is ANY failure on the Main System drive.

I had Tiger and PT 7.4 and Leo+PT8 for a long time, now I have Leo 8 and leo 8.0.1 - on my 2 separate bootable system drives.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA