Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 06:54 AM

Default ProTools system crash wipes out my startup in XP

I am running Digi 001 and PTLE 5.3.1 on a PC running in XP. It's fully loaded with half a gig of memory, 2 hd's one 40 gig and one 60 gig running at 7200rpms and all the crap background stuff turned off, I couldn't make it more stable if I tried!
Sometimes I have a crash when PT freezes makes a high pitched noise through the speakers and then dies.
On restart Windows XP does not boot and I have to insert the XP install CD to run scan disk and fix bad sectors before I can the PC to boot.
Is anyone else having this problem?
I know about PC's and wondered if I was the only person on earth having this weird problem. The trouble is if you ask Digi support they will probably say that no one else has had the problem and they have never heard of it. If I was not such an advanced PC user I wouldn't stand a chance of recovering my PC after one of these crashes. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Re: ProTools system crash wipes out my startup in XP

I am having the exact same problem. The only difference, if you can call it a difference, is that windows does boot up after it crashes, but with a bunch of corrupted system files.

If there is someone out there that could have a clue as to what is going on, please shed some light. My setup is similar to yours (XP1800 Athlon, 20 gig hardrive for system files, 40 for audio both 7200 rpm)and was very stable up to this upgrade.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 AM

Are you guys using the ASIO driver? Or it could be a bad Windows update?? (doubt that though).
Jayman #9
Old 12-08-2002, 10:19 AM

I know this is a different subject, but would any of you know how to get the Opcode Studio 128x midi interface to be recognized by XP...I keep getting the driver not found error when trying to run the patchbay application...

Thx... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 07:07 PM

I too had the crash/no reboot problem, and you're right, digidesign had no clue what it is. Also the ADAT clicking is worse in XP when recording ADAT ins from my DA7. Same setup in 98SE does not click or crash?!?!? So... I have dual-boot in case it crashes again. No problems now. I really like the extra tracks and XP, but I need a safety net with 98SE and 5.1.1.
Sean
Old 12-09-2002, 12:26 AM

When you crash and get the blue screen of death, are you guys pushing the power button on the front of the computer? Don't do that. I did that once..and WinXP's BSOD did a system dump and overwrote some boot files. Had to use the recovery console off of the WinXP boot cd to run chkdsk and get everything back. I'd suggest you not hit the power button, but yank the power cord (or hit the switch on the powersupply, if you have one)...
Old 12-09-2002, 06:58 AM

RussUK & Gato75 - this problem showed up a bit during the 5.3 beta. i have only seen it once but my friend has experienced it a several times. it didn't kill his system disk but that could be due to the use of a third party boot manager.

obviously digi didn't rectify the problem before release.

to stray a little from the topic at hand, i found another interesting bug with memory markers today. nothing of critical importance but if you create a memory marker and change the time properties reference from Bar|Beat to Absolute, or vice versa, a dialogue box appears referring to an error in a location that does not exist - something i assume was accidentally left in the code from de-bugging? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 10:51 AM

I just had this happen last night for the first time. I built the PC talked about in this forum, i.e., AMD XP2200+, 40G system drive, 80G audio drive, Promise disk controller. Got Digi 001 up and running Saturday and was really getting into it last night when BLAM, the whole died, blue screen of death, won't boot up. So, do I have to reload XP now?

Rick
Old 12-09-2002, 03:28 PM

What was totally killing me was that I had finally bought an ATA 100 controller card and had it installed on one of the PCI slots, but left inactive and disconnected to the hardrives. I was planning to leave it like that until my system was up and running because it had given my problems with Win 98. Well, after messing with the computer for a couple of days. I decided to install the card and boooom, protools booted up and worked fine after that.

Last night, it kind of did the same thing again but only after my modem frooze up on me (most likely not supported on XP). After I reinstalled the modem driver, protools was happy again. I'm thinking everything on the PCI slots has to be accounted for and properly working, otherwise protools will crap out. Atleast that is what is seemed like to me.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:06 PM

I am running an Intel P3. Windows XP locked on me too. I bounced a song to disk, closed PT, then opened the wav. file in Sound Forge and burnt it to disk. The crash happened when I tried to go back into PT after closing Sound Forge.