Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Default 9 As End of the Line

I've got an early MacPro (1,1), 003, PT 9 with Music Production Toolkit and am running Snow Leopard. And I'm very happy with it. When i recently ran into some computer troubles I contemplated getting a new machine and checking out PT11. But the cost and the lack of compatibility of plug ins, etc really make me want to stick with what I have. It works great and it more than enough for me. I started on a cassette 4 track so this is am amazing rig for me.

If I want to stay on PT9 for the next 5 years is my best option just to keep this computer running Snow Leopard? I have a cloned FW drive that I can boot from as back up. Anyone running a solid state system drive on an older machine like mine? Worth doing? I have two additional drive slots I'm not using.

Also, if anyone has advice. When I push the power button sometimes I get one loud beep and no power. And then it usually comes on with a second or third attempt. I understand this is supposedly an issue with RAM. I ran Rember and it said everything was good. However, at times I notice if I check my computer info sometimes it says I have 7 GB and sometimes it says 6GB. I recently took out and reseated all the modules. I had added additional RAM when I got PT9.

Thanks

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Re: 9 As End of the Line

IMHO...That's just fine. There are many people professionally using PT 7 and some that feel it was one of the best. If 9 works for you then it works. An individuals production needs will determine the platform. I looked closely at 11
and if honest with myself and my production needs, must say I do not need it.
I want it of course. @v@:)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Re: 9 As End of the Line

Solid-state drive makes Snow Leopard boot like a beast

Upgrading to 10 is a really great idea eventually because of the disc cache

And with all the control 24's and pro controls out on the used market you could probably get you an awesome control surface to use with 10 as well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.