Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Why does playback start before cursor location?

I did a search for this and didn't find anything. Maybe I didn't use the right keywords. Anyway here 's my question.

Has anyone noticed that playback starts about 46 ms before the location the cursor is placed at in 7.3? Sometimes it's slightly shorter but it never seems to start playback right from the exact cursor location. I was wondering if there is a preference I am missing. I noticed this the other day at a studio I was working at when a programmer was complaining that older versions of PT's didn't do this.

Of course the pre-roll and post-roll are shut off

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Why does playback start before cursor location?

Are you possibly using the "Back and play" feature? It's in the preferences. I don't remember how this works, but could be worth checking it.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 PM

check if you have pre/post roll enable on the transport..... command+K
Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 AM

I've seen this with versions previous to 7.3. It's extrememly annoying and doesn't always happen. Once the behavior starts, it continues until something halts it; a restart or trashing of prefs --I forget.

And... YES... as PT user since version 1.x, I DO KNOW WHAT PRE-ROLL IS and HOW TO ENABLE/DISABLE IT.

j mcd
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 AM

Hi
I had this problem also.
It started on two of three machines after a 6.9 CS update. I had to live with it since I have not found a solution.

Now all 3 Protools (2 HD and 1 LE) with 7.3.1 work correct.

Ale
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 AM

does ADC on/off affect this? Or inclusion of MIDI tracks?

I have always assumed that this tiny preroll happens so that any events due to start at the desired start time happen simultaneously.

It is certainly an interesting observation. I have never been particularly irritated by it however.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Why does playback start before cursor location

Gotta be pre-roll. To clear this, open the transport window and enter zeros in any of the values you see in the pre/post roll window. Alternately if you want to keep a pre roll setup you can toggle it on and off with applekey-K.

Wilson Dyer mpse

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 AM

I've seen this too... and NO it's definitely not pre-roll. See it on several rigs. I'll have to look for that "Back and Play" preference PT Lover mentioned. I've never noticed any preference called that.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM

You probably have "count off" activated by accident, which will result in a 2 bar (or more) pre-roll. There's a nasty shortcut to activate it (which I always confuse with something else), and you only see if it's activated when you have MIDI controls on your transport window visible.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Gotta be pre-roll. To clear this, open the transport window and enter zeros in any of the values you see in the pre/post roll window. Alternately if you want to keep a pre roll setup you can toggle it on and off with applekey-K.

Wilson Dyer mpse
It's NOT pre-roll. I use pre-roll and post-roll CONSTANTLY; enabling and disabling them. I always know my pre-roll settings and I've got two glowing buttons on my ProControls to tell me when they're enabled.

It happened in a session yesterday. I checked to see of ADC was on. It wasn't. Didn't have time to investigate as I was with a client and trying to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

It exists. It has existed for a while. The faux "pre-roll" is very small. Yesterday is was the length of a timpani hit in my music edits.

And while you at it: NO, this was not a lock to picture situation where there's an extra pre-roll setting for a device under machine control.

j mcd