Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM

Default midi i/o weirdness

I have a new MIDI I/O installed, updated driver, recognized and working. But, ... when PT is not running, or sounddiver is not running, or midi setup is not running, in other words when no single application that uses midi is running but at least one of my midi racks or keyboard is on, all the out lights are flashing like mad in unison. Once I start one of the aforementioned aps it stops, and it will also stop when all my midi racks and keyboard are turned off. Is this normal and why is it so? I did not have that with my studio4 on MacOS9
Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: midi i/o weirdness

I thinks some midi keyboards send out CC information even if nothing is happening. unplug the midi cables going into the unit one by one and see which one stops it. hope it helps.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 AM

For those who didn't know either. I missed the line that says that in the matrix window of the midi i/o setup you have to click "save routing to device" for every single input separately. Did that now and all is well. Cheers.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi -
I've had the same problem with the lights flashing on my MIDI I/O, but I don't understand your solution. Would you please post, or email me privately, describing in detail where the "save routing to device" button is - i.e. are you in Apple's Audio/MIDI Setup, or if in PT, what menu are you using?
Thanks in advance,
Errol
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM

Hi Errol,

It is not the audio/midi setup from apple you have to use but the Digidesign MIDI I/O Setup that comes with PT (look in the Digidesign folder in Applications). In the window of that app you will see two columns, one for inputs and one for outputs where you can determine fixed routings. All you have to do is select every input and deselect every output for that input. Then Click "Save routing to device". But you have to click that button 10 times, once after you have made the settings for every single input. Of course this is assuming you do not want any fixed routings. I had to download an updater for the MIDI I/O (version 2.0.1) from the digi website because the earlier one did not work, I am on PT 7.1cs6.

Good luck, Bob.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Hi -
I've had the same problem with the lights flashing on my MIDI I/O, but I don't understand your solution. Would you please post, or email me privately, describing in detail where the "save routing to device" button is - i.e. are you in Apple's Audio/MIDI Setup, or if in PT, what menu are you using?
Thanks in advance,
Errol
Hi Errol,

Unless you have the Digidesign midi i/o! you will be using the Apple AMS (audio midi setup) so don't get confused with "midi i/o setup" you don't have it!!

Flasing midi lights are normal for many keyboards that send a constand midi sensing command every second.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM

This is why I love the DUC - the process worked like a charm, and I've been wondering about those flashing lights on my (2) MIDI I/O's for years. Thanks so much! Now for silly question number two - I notice no difference in my MIDI setup, with respect to having my master keyboard control my various outboard synths. So...what does "fixed routing" actualy do. And if you want to say RTFM, please do...
Best,
Errol
Old 04-30-2006, 11:15 PM

Hi Errol,

Not RTFM at all. I wondered about it myself but did not test. I think it is a bit like a patchbay where say you want to have your keyboard play layered sounds from several synthracks at the same time without having to do the routing in the software. But that is just an "educated" guess

Cheers, Bob.