Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Low volume and hiss out of left monitor out-help

While mixing earlier this evening, I lost a lot of level from my left monitor. I immediately hit STOP and noticed a good amount of hiss coming from the monitor(Mackie HR824). I then did the standard troubleshooting trying to eliminate/narrow down the culprit. I reversed the cables(balanced XLR) I have going from monitor left and right out of the Digi snake and now the right monitor was experiencing this problem. So that eliminates the Mackies. I then hooked up the HR824s to Alt Monitors 7 & 8(Digi Snake) and used the Alt Monitor Level and everything sounded fine. So next, I replaced the PT Monitor Out Digi Snake(yellow one) with a similar Digi Snake(red) and hooked up outputs 1 & 2 to to the Mackies which displayed no problems. So finally, just to make sure, I reconnected the yellow Digi Snake which I assumed was having the issue, to the back of the C|24 and Monitor Out 1(L) & 2(R) to the HR824s and now everything was sounding fine.

So, the problem now is that I still have a few variables. When this whole situation first started earlier today, I shut down everything and restarted every piece of gear including powering the HR824s on and off and was able to temporarily fix the situation(level came back and no hiss) until it reappeared 2 hours into my mixing session(you should have seen the look the client gave me...). Has anyone had this happen? Does it sound like the snake, the DB25 connector or the C|24's Monitor board?

Hope someone knows. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Low volume and hiss out of left monitor out-he

Hello,

I just experienced the identical problem as you. Left channel drops to a -10 output and very very hissy. It started with the install of the updated power supply. As a quick fix, I'm driving my powered Dynaudios off the Alt Monitor output, which doesn't exhibit this behaviour. To add insult to injury, yesterday all 16 channels of Focusrite internal pre's dropped phantom power. Of course, every mic on them is a large diaghram condensor......:-( Anyone with similiar experiences and a fix?

Michael Spence
Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 PM

Just in case you haven't already checked, in System Prefereces check out the Sound preferences(Output tab). See if Digidesign HW is highlighted. Let me know the status.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM

Checked the preferences tab, Digi is selected. Opened the console, no obvious physical signs of a problem, and the hiss continues.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:28 AM

I would try reinstalling all software, including the OS( and zeroing the drive too). Then after reinstalling everything, launch Core Audio Setup(Digidesign folder) and set it accordingly. Then try out the board/monitoring system for a few days. If the problem still exists, it's time to call Digi TS. I hope you can find out the issue or atleast get rid of it. Please keep me posted.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:42 AM

I'm concinced this is simply a hardware problem. The console will behave this way regardless of whether or not it's connected to the computer and 192 interface. The output of the 192 itself is clean, and the output of the Control 24 is noisy just sitting by itself. I was hoping someone else had run across this issue and had already discovered the culprit.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:12 PM

I have also had this problem and have found it to be the monitor in D connector on C24.

The only way I have managed to sort it out is to reseat or "Jiggle" the D-Type connector.

I am assuming ( as I have not opened the C24 ) that it is some sort of problem caused by the constant strain of the cable.

Hope this is of some help.