Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 10:02 AM

Default Is there really no digital I/O IN other than ADAT?

Just hard to believe in 2024 there would only be one digital format...which is probably going to result in the carbon being returned. I'm trying to send digital signal to a Trinnov...so I have a Hosa optical to AES converter. I go out of the Carbon spdif optical port into the adapter then AES into the Trinnov. Then I come AES out of the Trinnov - but apparently there's no SPDIF optical IN? It can only be adat? I know the adapter is working, because I can connect the AES out from the TRinnov into a Burl DA and it works fine. But the idea was to sell the Apollo and the Burl and go with Carbon.

Also - I can't use the SPDIF optical OUT port in anything but Pro Tools? So I can't use Carbon for ANYTHING but Pro Tools? That's just jaw-droppingly short sighted.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Is there really no digital I/O IN other than ADAT?

just read in the "What's new in 2021.10" release notes that the SPDIF INS are now working? Page 19:
Optical In Format (Detected)
"Pro Tools | Carbon automatically detects the digital format of the incoming signal on optical ports 1 and 2 (labeled ADAT In 1 and
2 on the back panel). The detected format is displayed for each port: ADAT, S/PDIF, or N/A."

That's great, but I'm hearing the signal BEFORE it was sent out to the trinnov. I want to monitor the return. No idea how to do that. I did record a stereo track with ADAT 1-2 as the input...I get signal, but there's definitely phaseyness going on.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn73 View Post
just read in the "What's new in 2021.10" release notes that the SPDIF INS are now working? Page 19:
Optical In Format (Detected)
"Pro Tools | Carbon automatically detects the digital format of the incoming signal on optical ports 1 and 2 (labeled ADAT In 1 and
2 on the back panel). The detected format is displayed for each port: ADAT, S/PDIF, or N/A."

That's great, but I'm hearing the signal BEFORE it was sent out to the trinnov. I want to monitor the return. No idea how to do that. I did record a stereo track with ADAT 1-2 as the input...I get signal, but there's definitely phaseyness going on.
Sounds like you're dual monitoring somehow.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:22 PM

How do you survive with out MADI? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯