Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 04:59 PM

Default Re: It's actually a crying shame re Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Hehe.

My line of thinking is, even if it has sold well, had it been properly network expandable at the very least, and a USB 3 or Thunderbolt Windows version was available, their sales would be doubled (combined first time Windows buyers plus mac users buying a second one, and *some* windows users like me buying two).

So maybe it's not a failure, but it's still a dead end. Not my words, the press'.
Hehe is right , the press says a lot of things and most of time it is just click bait hype and only occasionally is some of what they say even partially accurate and even less is objective.

Without knowing the sales numbers vs the projections it's all a lot of wild speculation.
After all the press also said in the early 50's That after IBM sold one their computers to each the top 17 industrial nations in the world for air traffic control, the computer business would be a "dead end". hehe
Do I think it would boost sales if Avid could figure out a way for Windows compatibility of course But the objective skeptic in me says, I don't see it happing unless sales decline and or for at least 2 - 4 years --but again just speculation

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-18-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Left mac in 2020 after 2 decades and never looked back and never will. Ever.

LOVE Windows and my 500+ Steam games plus PT performs way better on Windows at low latencies (as long as you have a good low DPC motherboard like I have, there's no comparison, and that includes even up to M3 pro).
If you arm say 32 tracks at 64 buffer with effects, Windows kills it. Core audio and Apple's low clock speeds (both Intel days and now) without maintaining the full speed at all times like one can do in Windows, has always worked against it for low latency. Why do you think PT high buffer playback engine, Asio guard, DP pre gen etc was even created? It wasn't for Windows, but for Mac.
Again this is reliant on a good interface and motherboard with very low DPC latency, but with a Windows system you either need to do tons of research or go to a pro audio builder. That part is true. But when it works.. it purrs.

I have a Quantum in my bedroom and a triple UAD setup in the studio room, I attached a heavy duty handle to my case so I can move between the two rooms (just next door to one another) easily, but I can tell you, when I tested with the Quantum maxed out at 26 inputs at 32 buffer in Cubendo, there were no spikes, effects galore, headroom galore, and it made my UAD *completely* redundant, especially with UAD Native now. I'll be selling all my UAD hardware.

The reason I would still be interested in Carbon is because of PT mixer integration. I am tired of using Apollo and PT Mixers, in fact I might put Quantum in Studio as I am winding down the external equipment and total simultaneous ins I need anyway, and with quantum, I can use the DAW mixer.

STILL, it's not quite the same as Carbon, and just because I no longer NEED DSP, doesn't mean I am against it, and I like the idea of ultra low latency rock solid stability with 100% reliable recall without CPU issues.

See the thing is, UAD is not low latency.. All the GOOD effects are full of lag, a couple inline and you are way worse than native with RTL. But Carbon is the perfect compromise.

Even HD native would be much more expensive due to card plus interface cost. No way. I will not be punished.

I will not change formats.

I will stick to UA or Presonus. Likely the latter. I'll sell at least one Apollo 8 to start and take it from there. Until Avid grows up and does something pro customer, no more $$$ from me.

Everyone knows it's ridiculous.. even review mags.. they created an ethernet interface without expansion capability lol and so far it has zero advantage over thunderbolt. They made an error, and they need to fix it.

My curiosity is peaked. What motherboard do you have?

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:21 PM

I see it now.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
My curiosity is peaked. What motherboard do you have?
My new system currently being built will be with the Asus Pro Art Z790 thunderbolt 4 motherboard. It's just days away, really looking forward to it.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:32 PM

As a Windows user between 1993 or so and 2010, I broke so many machines.

Without the cash for motherboards, but the eyes, I would try to get my games running smoother.

Things would eventually just fry, and never stop crashing after a short while of use. Literally, the options for "overclock" are appealing.

The points above... if you have the quality hardware and tuning, you'll do just fine. For majority of real people who don't get the highest end machine, they'll have latency on Mac or PC.

The thing is here, since 2010 to 2024 on Mac, including Laptop, Trashcan, and now iMac, I never once had a hardware failure, and things were always consistent. I have upgraded only 3 times, each big steps I looked forward to.

Another thing is, every single computer I ever had, either PC or Mac, had a different number of available data transfer ports and varied in their internal configuration. Also, my needs as an audio maker have always varied, including the number of inputs and outputs available and at what cost.

So having these major "competitor" options in one company with distinct hardware connectivity is totally cool, just fine to me. I understand from various cheap stuff that having 15 connection types for one microphone pre wouldn't help you get a good sound. Lots of conversion must be installed or sorted out.

So from a business perspective having 3 products to serve 3 existing groups of customers in their own best interest could be the best bet, versus the plan to have just one product with inferior intended quality (the audio) to suit all 3 groups.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
... I have to spend 3x as much, yes, near 19 thousand dollars ... All I really need is a bit of comp and EQ here and there, and one reverb send ...
My 2 cents:

I'm using a Presonus 2626 8-ch interface via Thunderbolt on Windows 11 at buffer 64. Rock solid & great drivers from Presonus. Easy, simple. The 2626 has 2 available ADAT expansion ports; I use one of them for 16 inputs. You can also add a 2nd 2626 (plus another 2 ADAT ins) for more I/O if needed.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-22-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
As a Windows user between 1993 or so and 2010, I broke so many machines.

Without the cash for motherboards, but the eyes, I would try to get my games running smoother.

Things would eventually just fry, and never stop crashing after a short while of use. Literally, the options for "overclock" are appealing.

The points above... if you have the quality hardware and tuning, you'll do just fine. For majority of real people who don't get the highest end machine, they'll have latency on Mac or PC.

The thing is here, since 2010 to 2024 on Mac, including Laptop, Trashcan, and now iMac, I never once had a hardware failure, and things were always consistent. I have upgraded only 3 times, each big steps I looked forward to.

Another thing is, every single computer I ever had, either PC or Mac, had a different number of available data transfer ports and varied in their internal configuration. Also, my needs as an audio maker have always varied, including the number of inputs and outputs available and at what cost.

So having these major "competitor" options in one company with distinct hardware connectivity is totally cool, just fine to me. I understand from various cheap stuff that having 15 connection types for one microphone pre wouldn't help you get a good sound. Lots of conversion must be installed or sorted out.

So from a business perspective having 3 products to serve 3 existing groups of customers in their own best interest could be the best bet, versus the plan to have just one product with inferior intended quality (the audio) to suit all 3 groups.

The main problem I see with Avid's current approach is that is has totally destroyed an notion of an ecosystem. It is just three disparate product line ups linked only by the vaguest notion of using Pro Tools software as your chosen DAW. Users of a variety of Universal Audio products or RME products have a more consistent experience in Pro Tools than anyone who uses a variety of Avid devices.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
My new system currently being built will be with the Asus Pro Art Z790 thunderbolt 4 motherboard. It's just days away, really looking forward to it.
When it's finished let me know how it's running. I might update my system soon so now I'm curious.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.