Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 07:06 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

Installed PT 2024.3 with Sonoma 14.4 and was pleased to see how much better it performed in my system(mac mini M1 16gig Ram).

I've tested a bunch of heavy sessions that used to be problematic with constant CPU overload hangs and they played flawlessly and seem to be using CPU resources much more efficiently.

I've also noted that System Usage window, which used to only show performance cores, now also shows efficiency cores utilization. Avid release notes for PT 2024.3 mentions the utilization of all cores in apple silicon as part of optimization for sonoma qualifying process. Sweet!

Last edited by Fishbone; 03-09-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:25 AM

Hi all!

After upgrading to Pro Tools 2024.3 moving clips and fades around causes the transparency effects to flicker, along with the clips them selves. Very annoying. Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any help?

I'm on Sonoma 14.4. Didn't happen before 2024.3.

Thanks.

System Details:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, Nov 2023
M3 Max, 16 (12/4) Core CPU
40 Core GPU, 128 GB RAM
macOS 14 (Sonoma)
Pro Tools Studio
Perpetual License
w/Update & Support Plan

Last edited by JouluPam; 03-10-2024 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added system details
Old 03-10-2024, 09:42 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JouluPam View Post
Hi all!

After upgrading to Pro Tools 2024.3 moving clips and fades around causes the transparency effects to flicker, along with the clips them selves. Very annoying. Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any help?

I'm on Sonoma 14.4. Didn't happen before 2024.3.

Thanks.

System Details:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, Nov 2023
M3 Max, 16 (12/4) Core CPU
40 Core GPU, 128 GB RAM
macOS 14 (Sonoma)
Pro Tools Studio
Perpetual License
w/Update & Support Plan
Did you look back a page at the responses to the same issue you are experiencing.

ashmatthews reports: Another thing I've noticed...the new macOS has this "mic mode" thing (see attached image). Whenever I'm moving clips or doing fades while I have a track record-enabled, the mic mode icon flickers and the audio cuts out from the mic I have coming in. Example: I'll have an artist recording vocals in the booth, and they will be talking to me as I'm moving/organizing clips or doing fades, and their voice will cut out with every move as this mic mode icon flickers. It's quite annoying and artists feel like something is wrong with the headphones.

ToxicGandhi replies: A few pages back someone mentioned this issue and also the fact that it has something to do with Continuity camera being turned on on the iPhone - try turning it off if you have one and restarting, it has solved the issue for me.

randomizer replies: Absolutely correct and thank you. Turn off all the cute peripherals in Sonoma especially continuity and handoff and it's pretty solid. My opinion and experience only.

check it out
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 03-10-2024, 10:52 AM

this would be a good sticky.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 03-10-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Turn off all the cute peripherals in Sonoma especially continuity and handoff and it's pretty solid. My opinion and experience only.
And while there turn off the !@#$%^& Sonoma Wallpaper Landscape/Cityscape video bloatware. Folks can have many GB of downloaded video content crap on their systems if they play with these without realizing. Not to mention the CPU and network hit (when downloading).

Face it, Apple is just trolling everybody as much as possible to make all existing Macs run slowly and ya want to upgrade

While on this, the macOS systems optimization instructions could do with a clean up, including clarifying whats really recommended and what to try if there are problems (e.g. disable spotlight indexing).
Old 03-10-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Did you look back a page at the responses to the same issue you are experiencing.

ashmatthews reports: Another thing I've noticed...the new macOS has this "mic mode" thing (see attached image). Whenever I'm moving clips or doing fades while I have a track record-enabled, the mic mode icon flickers and the audio cuts out from the mic I have coming in. Example: I'll have an artist recording vocals in the booth, and they will be talking to me as I'm moving/organizing clips or doing fades, and their voice will cut out with every move as this mic mode icon flickers. It's quite annoying and artists feel like something is wrong with the headphones.

ToxicGandhi replies: A few pages back someone mentioned this issue and also the fact that it has something to do with Continuity camera being turned on on the iPhone - try turning it off if you have one and restarting, it has solved the issue for me.

randomizer replies: Absolutely correct and thank you. Turn off all the cute peripherals in Sonoma especially continuity and handoff and it's pretty solid. My opinion and experience only.

check it out
Marianna
Yes, unfortunately I had all those features disabled in the first place, and the problem seems somewhat different too. I took a screen capture video for posterity: drive.google.com/file/d/1_euS8nxNClC8Ytbyoo9L6XaB7RcrnOmM

Unfortunately, for now, I have turned clip transparency off, even though I love it while editing. The flicker causes headaches.

BTW, while we are here, just a note: I'd love to be able to get rid of the "Midi Editor", "Melodyne" and "Clip Effects" tabs on the bottom of the Pro Tools screen, as some others have mentioned on other threads. Take take up some space, and I have no use for them. I use quick keys.

Thanks for the help.
macOS 14 (Sonoma)
Pro Tools Studio
Perpetual License
w/Update & Support Plan
Old 03-10-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
While on this, the macOS systems optimization instructions could do with a clean up, including clarifying whats really recommended and what to try if there are problems (e.g. disable spotlight indexing).
May I ask why it is recommended not to use spootlight indexing in 2024? for some time now I have noticed that when ProTools is running spootlight indexing is deactivated... if you click on the information it says that it has been stopped by ProTools... then I wonder... is it really worth eliminating such a convenient and important in file search such as spootlight indexing, since it is automatically stopped when using ProTools? or is it just a habit that comes from the past and which perhaps can now be overcome? just a sincere question, which I've been asking myself for a few months, after noticing this new feature in MacOs
Old 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM

Hi JouluPam, welcome to the community.

Please avoid sending links until you have bigger post count, as these go to manual approval for now.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:55 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
this would be a good sticky.
Hi Paul! May we know what you're referring to? the previous response? or the thread itself?

Thanks

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 03-11-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aals View Post
May I ask why it is recommended not to use spootlight indexing in 2024? for some time now I have noticed that when ProTools is running spootlight indexing is deactivated... if you click on the information it says that it has been stopped by ProTools... then I wonder... is it really worth eliminating such a convenient and important in file search such as spootlight indexing, since it is automatically stopped when using ProTools? or is it just a habit that comes from the past and which perhaps can now be overcome? just a sincere question, which I've been asking myself for a few months, after noticing this new feature in MacOs
I'm curious as well.