Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Able to play VSL\'s VI in Pro Tools?

I was wondering if anyone has any info how one can use Vienna's Appassionata Strings (VI) within Pro Tools? I've been wanting to stay in Pro Tools and not go back to Digital Performer (DAE problems!!!) whenever I'm programming midi. I know that VSL will one day have an RTAS version of their VI but for now, is there a way to use their AU instrument plug-in? Thanks in advance.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Able to play VSL\'s VI in Pro Tools?

VST to RTAS Wrapper should work!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info! Googled it and ordered!!!!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 AM

I've seen this discussed on the VSL Forum, and unfortunately, the results people have been reporting have not been encouraging. Only a limited number of instances can be used, and things are unstable. OTOH, I guess it's worth a try. You might want to do a little searching there to see what you're up against.

A far better solution would be to add a second machine as a MIDI slave (even one of the new Mac Minis would be good).

It would really be great if PT added AU support, so PT users could get the efficiency and low latency of Core Audio and Midi with these types of plug-ins.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks Lee. Are there any links you can provide to tutor me through the option of using another Mac as a slave? I've heard of people doing this from VSL's forum site but could not obtain any specific instructions as to how this can be done. My main computer is the G5 Dual 2.7 with 4.5 G ram. The other which I can slave is a G4 Dual 1.42 (mirrored drive doors). This would seem like a better option overall. Thanks again.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM

Why not convert the VSL Library to Reason Refills and use NNXT and use NNXT as a rewire slave
Should be technicaly possible?
Would this be allowed under licience agreement?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM

There was a good article in Virtual Instruments magazine last month about using VSL as a stand alone, and then using a Cycling '74 product to import the audio into a DAW. I think they used Logic for the test but there is no reason that PT couldn't be the DAW. Using this method they were able to access 7 GB of RAM in the Mac. I would give that a try.

Erik
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks Lee. Are there any links you can provide to tutor me through the option of using another Mac as a slave? I've heard of people doing this from VSL's forum site but could not obtain any specific instructions as to how this can be done. My main computer is the G5 Dual 2.7 with 4.5 G ram. The other which I can slave is a G4 Dual 1.42 (mirrored drive doors). This would seem like a better option overall. Thanks again.
Your second computer has to become a sort of synthrack. That means you must equip it with a soundcard (I have a fireface800) and a midi I/O (I have an mt4). The midi in/out play the role of the midi in/out on a synthrack and the outs of the soundcard play the role of the outs of the synthrack. Once you have that you just connect it to one of the PT audio interfaces of your PT computer like you would any other synthrack. I use it with logic set up as a non-sequencing rack of EXS's, softhsynths and, if you connect both the ins and the outs for send and returns, even as an effectsrack. Works like a charm.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Hey Mr songman, I'm jealous of the fact that your setup works like a charm! I did some checking on this but the cost of the additional hardware is unfortunately out of my range; but thanks for the info. Seems my only option right now is to install the VST to RTAS wrapper and hope for the best... Or hope that Digi will consider the AU option, or that the VSL team releases an RTAS version of their VI.... or worst, go back to DP and expect regular crashes and other anomalies under DAE... Sure love the demo of the Appassionata Strings!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Anyone working with RAX that could shed some light as far as setup is concerned for slaving another mac to the host? Seems like this is a better option to free up some cpu issues as opposed to the VST to RTAS wrapper.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4