Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2020, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Then you must have been using some heavy latency plugins on your tracking session. HDN with 64 buffer @96kHz is actually just as fast as TDM systems ever was.

Without plugins that is. Once you start adding plugins you need to have the latency info visible on your mix window to see what is going on. And those of you who actually used the "blazing fast TDM" can remember that a plugin full mix on a tracking session could very well have about 350 samples of plugin latency.
Don’t need any of that with Ableton Live10 suite and Apollo X Series units so basically HDN is pretty sad really. And OLD!

Who doesn’t use Plugins so there goes your argument out the door! No such issues in Logic X or Live 10

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Dom’t need any of that with Ableton Live10 suite and Apollo X Series units so basically HDN is pretty sad really. And OLD!
Well yea, I have Apogee Symphony mkII at home via TB2 (also HD card installed), makes life easy.

But HDN is a nice way to get past 32 i/o limit if you happen to have DigiLink interfaces. For a live gig I still use HD3 because that can get me past 64 i/o limit of HDN.

The question was about tracking native without noticeable latency. It is very much possible.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new Audio Interface product with DSP next week!

No, it's not possible with proper cue mixes, etc. Something is fundamentally broken on the LLM (Low Latency Monitoring) side.

After years of troubleshooting and countless Avid 'support' tickets, they have never been able to sort it out. A very bad investment and sad situation indeed. It really did keep me from doing actual work.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new Audio Interface product with DSP next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Unusable?
Sorry for the short answer!
With HDN i couldn't get the audible Latency down to a usable number. And it had many other quirks regarding Routing for LLM which i don't remember exactly anymore, sorry!

I had a HDX System in my Studio which i liked a lot, but it was very uncomfortable to use with other DAWs.
So i tried Apollo and everything worked and sounded great. The only downside for me is this totally unflexible Console Application. So if AVID comes up with something that works with multiple DAWs AND let's me Monitor and Cue with Plugins inside Pro Tools but without latency issues (like Console), then I'm happy!
Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 AM

Hybrid engine, proprietary AVB implementation, Mac only
Old 11-10-2020, 05:38 AM

Nice research ! sound like a great new box
Hope the "hybrid engine" doesn't become expensive !

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|2x PRE |2x Audient PRE 880| 1x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Avid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue | Avid MTRX Studio + Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE

System 3 : Dolby Atmos Renderer Running Sonoma 14.4
MacMini M2 Pro |16 GB RAM | Avid MTRX Studio (Thunderbolt3)
Old 11-10-2020, 05:45 AM

Default Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Strange that they will use AVB instead of Dante, which is implemented in the Matrix units...

But still very excited already about this!
Old 11-10-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnievanoverveld View Post
Strange that they will use AVB instead of Dante, which is implemented in the Matrix units...

But still very excited already about this!
And with AVB you don't have direct hardware playthrough of any hardware synths or other instruments connected (at least not in MOTU's implementation).

QAPLA!
Old 11-10-2020, 06:03 AM

Very strange that they chose AVB while MTRX is Dante..

No surround monitoring is a shame. I guess they want to push post users towards MTRX.

Hoping the DSP chips aren't the 10 year old HDX chips, that would give the interface less than half the power of a single hdx card.

But that might be enough for tracking through a couple of plugins.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:32 AM

Glad to see it connects via Core Audio. I have no experience with AVB or Dante so I can't speak on that.

Looks like a compelling product. A lot will depend on the sale price, AD/DA quality, preamp quality and rear panel i/o. A single HDX card still costs an outrageous $4000USD. Neither consumers nor 3rd party developers will flock to this system if it's priced out of reach.

UAD's products are not cheap but there are entry-level products that help usher new users into their ecosystem. That, and the built-in preamps on my Apollo x8 are actually very competitive, with or without the DSP modelling engaged. I sometimes prefer them to the 1073LBs I normally use.