Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2022, 12:12 PM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt with 96io

Hi guys
I Just bought a Thunderbolt Native and 96IO

Can't get it to show up in my Playback engine (PT10 HD) 10.3.9 (digi test showing unknown device invalid. and the interface option has blurred out so i can't select it)

Many years ago I had a Pcie Native card and 96io whiched did work. So I figured that the Thunderbolt box would be the same!!

Any suggestions before I return the items?

thanks
Old 04-14-2022, 01:51 PM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt with 96io

Pro Tools 10.3.9 on what *exact* macOS version?

So many issues are softwareware compatibility related. And Pro Tools 10 sure ain’t running on recent macOS versions… but we have no clue what your setup is.

You have to provide a useful level of info here. “Help us help you” up the top of each DUC page explains that, and is good background reading anyhow.

Do you see the Thunderbolt device show up in the macOS system info utility under Thunderbolt devices? Something show up there even if the Mac cannot identify it?

Official Pro Tools/OS compatibility table is here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-14-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:11 PM

Sorry I never mentioned it, OSX 10.8.5 with PT10 HD (10.3.10)

Thunderbolt Native (Brand New)
96IO (from previous PCIe native card system)
iMac i7 27inc late 2012 3.4ghz with 32 Ram

It shows up in Apple system info yes (HD thunderbolt Native) in both Audio & Thunderbolt.... (it shows in apple system preferences "Sound" too)

After a Good few hours of reinstalling PTHD and all the drivers on the Avid site for TB......again and again the digitest recognised the TB & Interface ONCE. After the test was successful, I thought I had it but upon restarting the iMac , Digi test went blank again no joy!!

My Audio/midi set up in utilities shows the TB Native symbol (0IN/0OUT) and i'm unable to select it as main output/input source. I have never been able to see it in the pro tools pb engine, only the Pro tools Aggregate..

spent all day trying re-installing PTHD & HD DIVERS, I even wiped my OS X (mountain lion 10.8.5) everytime I reinstall PTHD, etc

PLEASE HELP,
Thanks...

Last edited by wizewize; 04-14-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizewize View Post
Sorry I never mentioned it, But Yes (OSX 10.8.5)

I have

Thunderbolt Native
96IO
Imac late 2012 3.4ghz with 32 Ram

It shows up in system info yes....

Can't seem to get Digitest to see my interface or TB box ( it did once worked digtest my 96 did a vagas light thing and the TB lights changed) after the test was successful i restarted the machine as prompted and then it went blank again. unable to see it in pro tools pb engine)

Spent £1200 on (TB Native/digilink adapter/cables etc and a used interface) and nothing......SAD

spent all day trying reinstalling, trying different drivers, etc

Thanks...
HI, In the future, put your system info etc. in your signature so that way you have it all the time-:). G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-14-2022, 05:54 PM

OK I'm quickly out of ideas then since you are on supported/known working OSX and Pro Tools combo. And before all the more recent macOS versions with a number of compatibility issues.

You have Pro Tools 10 HD... make sure Pro Tools is actually starting up as Pro Tools HD.... check the splash screen. An iLok licensing issue that causes you to have Pro Tools not Pro Tools HD will not show the 96 IO in the playback engine options. Your symptoms *really* seem like what would happen from a licensing problem. (sometimes if you have multiple iLoks or multiple assets on an iLok things can sometimes get confused. And you need an iLok 2 or 3 not an original iLok for Pro Tools 10 to work).

My other thought is always check the Digilink cable. Make sure it's connected to the primary port. Try flexing/wiggling the cable. Try a different cable. Disconnect any other digilink peripherals (sounds like you only have the 96IO).

The other angle is I would not spend a lot of time on this, used HD IO or 196 IO are not expensive and are more flexible than a 96 IO so maybe pick one of those up instead?
Old 04-14-2022, 06:09 PM

OK...Thanks...
Old 04-15-2022, 10:58 PM

Contact Avid support. It seems there is 10 years between HD10 and the purchase of your HD Native interface. Avid have issued numerous new hardware firmware updates in that time, which might be conflicting in your system.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:34 AM

Thanks guys.

With my perseverance, I got it working now.

1. Had to trash sound,audio, system preferences and Avid/Digidesign p.list etc

2. Install the oldest Driver for HD family (Native)

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nload/en379411

Despite that fact it's working. I had to do this process about 4 or 5 times before it showed up in the system preferences and Audi/Midi pane as HD Thunderbolt Native and not Avid Core Audio.

Now, my 96IO flawlessly works with the TB Core (PT10.3.10 & 10.8.5 OSX iMac27 2012)

It's shame I can't use my Digi 003 Console as a pro tools midi DAW controller. I'll have to sell it...

Regards