Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Help me brainstorm (esp 002 users (not rack))

First off, anyone know where I can find an online 002 manual? The digi website doesn't go deep at all about the operation of the 002 and searches turned up nothing.

Sorry, this is a bit long: The new Command8 has me thinking again about the same old thing. For a few years I have been racking my brain (it's 3 rack units high, thanks) about how to accomplish what I want:

I want all of my instruments, input devices, mics, etc., coming into a central mixer. There is a whole mix of i/o needed... The perfect mixer would have: 12 to 16 (+4 balanced) inputs with at least 8 decent preamps, S/PDIF ins for my 2 channel AD converter, ADAT outs that I could send to my Digi001, and at least 4 analog outs that I could send to the other 001 inputs. (typical band setup - 8 drums, 2 guitar, bass, 2 vox or keys...). I have some outboard preamps. Sounds easy, right?

The problem is I need Pre-fader, Pre-EQ, pre-everything outputs.

I want to be able to have everything ready to go at all times, and to monitor without needing to go through Pro Tools. This is for two reasons. 1.) the convenience of it... when you're just jamming and 2.) so that when I record I can have the lowest latency possible. For no latency, the mixer would need to be analog... but I know I said I want digital i/o... so there's one dilemna.

For the monitor (or "tracking") mix, the mixer's going to need onboard EQ and FX, or the abililty to send to outboard gear on auxes. I want to be able to take a snapshot of this mix, and then hit a button and switch to the Pro Tools playback, either digital or analog. Just the 1-2 outs from PT are fine... I will do the real mixing in Pro Tools.

The Yamaha 01V seemed like a solution that I wrestled with for a while, but the problem there is that if you pass audio through to any of the analog and ADAT digital outs, it is POST fader and EQ. That's always the big problem with any mixer I look at.

So to simplify: I want to pass each signal through the mixer clean and unadulterated to my 001's ADAT ins and at least four of the analog ins. Kind of like tapping the signal at the insert point to send to PT. At the same time I want each signal going through the mixer channels so I can create a monitor or tracking mix with EQ and FX. Why is this so hard to find.?

The closest things I've seen capable of passing PRE-everything signals are the Tascam D24 and the Spirit Digital 328. But they're big and bit pricey. To make the whole thing worse, I'd like this rig to be as portable as possible for location recording.

I've thought of using a DigimaxLT and tapping out of the inserts to send to the mixer, while sending the ADAT outs directly to PT. It's actually the best solution I can think of. Then the mixer would still need about 4 Pre-everthing outs or insert points to send the rest of the instruments to PT (but I don't like that idea because that puts me in unbalanced-land, but I guess it would be OK for less important instruments like Toms).

But I never realized the 002 has built-in EQ and FX. It sounds like it could be a solution, but I can't find the literature I need to answer my questions. The mixer in standalone mode will essentialy let me do what I want, right? No-latency (or very low) monitor mixes Pre-PT? Am I correct that it will only do 8 channels though? So if I bought something like an Octapre or Digimax for additional inputs, I have to monitor those channels through Pro Tools. If so... then I guess it won't work for me.

I give up. There is no one product out there that does what I want at a price I can deal with. A part of me says deal with the 6 or 7ms of latency at the 128 buffer, get a control surface, create a few PT templates, and be done with it. Looking to you guys for new ideas.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Help me brainstorm (esp 002 users (not rack))

Same Boat here Curt... Glad to see you're still at it; here in L.A.? Lets talk, I would like to get an Idea of what your L.A. story hs been. I like the Yamaha, 24/96, I am looking at it, however, I also like the 002 desktop and then you have everything all ready to zip up and use. I have been doing research for a month or two on this subject, there is no easy answer.

Regards

e
Old 05-14-2004, 09:54 AM

a thought would be recording using inserts as they are always pre fader ( and eq etc...some eqs have the option of pre or post though )

another thought is to split that insert send so that it goes to tape and also returns to the board

aving the second send connected to a patch bay will allow patching of compressor etc...

using a half normaled patch will make it so you do not need to make connection to have it reurn to the board
Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 PM

A few weeks ago I think I found some tech docs on this page of links somewhere (or under one of these links). Hope you find what you are looking for.

http://www.protools.com/download/links/
Old 05-15-2004, 04:06 AM

The Yamaha 01v will do what you need it to do, couple of things you might be missing, basically it's digital patchbay with virtual routing nothing every really goes anywhere.
You can turn off EQ, Dynamics and effects on any channel.
You would have to use the ADAT card and the 4 OMNI outs, which you would have to route your desired signals to the paths of choice.
You can play with the pre/post routing in several different ways, but what you have to keep in mind is a digital mixer imparts it's character on any signal that comes in since it is fed into the DSP when it comes into the unit inorder for the signal to be routed.