Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM

Default XLR Cables for main output ?

Hi,

Sounds stupid but when going live in a P.A from the Main Outputs,
the recommanded cables are XLR Balanced (Also called Microphone Cables).

Is this ok ?

I'm considering SSSNake SM10BK 10m for live (or Cordial if I understand there catalog ...) use but I'm willing to have feedbacks on XLR Cables.

Bye,
Phab
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Re: XLR Cables for main output ?

I don't know what brands or vendors you have available in Belgium, but for this type of application I would recommend that you get a cable designed for heavy-duty usage.

PA cables are prone to getting stepped on, run over with hand trucks, and having a ton of road cases stacked on top of them.

You might try talking to a professional sound company and ask them what brands they use...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 PM

You will need to use XLR to 1/4 inch adapters and/or a direct box when connecting Main Outputs of Eleven Rack to a Mixing Console. See http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1744943&postcount=14 for details.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Note that an XLR-1/4" cable (or an isolating direct box) also solves any potential problems caused by phantom power. (Other threads have suggested that some phantom powered microphone inputs might cause problems for the 11R, up to an including frying the 11R's XLR outputs in the worst case.)

C.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaxeman View Post
You will need to use XLR to 1/4 inch adapters and/or a direct box when connecting Main Outputs of Eleven Rack to a Mixing Console. See http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1744943&postcount=14 for details.
That is not necessarily correct...

There are consoles out there that use XLR inputs for both mic and line connections with the proper level set via a switch.

The best bet would be to carry both an XLR/XLR and an XLR/TS cable, that way you could match whatever you encounter...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
That is not necessarily correct...

There are consoles out there that use XLR inputs for both mic and line connections with the proper level set via a switch.

The best bet would be to carry both an XLR/XLR and an XLR/TS cable, that way you could match whatever you encounter...
Ah, True! But the majority of mixing consoles I run into when playing out in clubs, festivals, etc. just have plane old mic level xlr inputs. So if you take my suggestion you can consistently connect correctly.

and a Bonus to boot as Chucky pointed out: "Note that an XLR-1/4" cable (or an isolating direct box) also solves any potential problems caused by phantom power. (Other threads have suggested that some phantom powered microphone inputs might cause problems for the 11R, up to an including frying the 11R's XLR outputs in the worst case.)"

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes but XLR-1/4 is UnBalanced and Mic XLR-XLR is Balanced

I think (but am no professionnal) that there is an impact on noise reduction

I think there's a missing chain in the Digidesign documentation or ... we lack of
audio signal theory

The choice for Live mixing consoles are (I think)

- XLR Male / XLR Female Balanced
- XLR Male / XLR Female UnBalanced (Does it really exist ?)
- XLR Male / TRS Jack UnBalanced
- XLR Male / TRS Jack Balanced (Does it really exist ?)

But I don't have experience on this (not my actual live setup: Amp)

Feedback would be nice

Phab
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phab76 View Post
- XLR Male / XLR Female UnBalanced (Does it really exist ?)
Not that I've ever encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phab76 View Post
- XLR Male / TRS Jack Balanced (Does it really exist ?)
Yes, and this would be the connection of choice for running lines from the 11R to a board (assuming you're not going through a stage box). Every mixer I've seen with 1/4" line inputs has a TRS jack for balanced input.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Course, no matter what wire you use, the FOH guys are going to love your running the line level outputs of the Eleven Rack into their mic preamps.

Also, while I have zero experience with direct boxes, I would wonder how that would work with the line outs from the Eleven Rack, especially impedance-wise...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Course, no matter what wire you use, the FOH guys are going to love your running the line level outputs of the Eleven Rack into their mic preamps.
Most of the FOH guys I've worked with (at small clubs, not stadiums or festivals) love having the direct feed, line-level notwithstanding. Pro boards usually have a pad on each channel so they can accommodate hot signals.

If you really think it's going to be an issue, carry two short XLR cables and two inline attenuators. For that matter, carry a couple of 1:1 inline transformers just to cover yourself against possible issues with phantom power.

It never hurts to be prepared…