Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Triggering Click Track with a Foot Switch

I've got a click track question.

I a newbie on Pro Tools. My band just started recording a demo using PT LE 8.

I've worked out putting in a click track and routing it to our drummers headphone mix. We do have a few tunes with meter and tempo changes. I was wondering if there is a way to disable the click track during recording using a foot switch. (Everyone in the band is playing while we record right now, so there are no free hands to disable it while we play. We're just doing this until we get a good drum recording so we can go back and overdub.)

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Triggering Click Track with a Foot Switch

Automate the volume of the click to turn off after so many measures. I'm not sure if you can control the click with a pedal.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM

As said there is no way to use the footswitch for this. What I would do is record a few bars of the click by busing it to an audio track. Now, you can chop it up as needed and (in GRID mode) select a bar or two and repeat it(Alt-R) as many times as you really need it(so it plays but then goes away at the desired point in the song). Another option, if you have the inputs and outputs available, would be to run the click to an analog output(so it doesn't feed the main outs from the click track) patch it thru a volume pedal and feed it back in via another AUX track. Push the volume pedal down to hear click and pull it back for none.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM

How about this,

record 1 bar of click. Sample it into structure free.
use a midi keyboard to trigger the sample and the pedal to hold it while you play.

When you want the click to stop, just release the pedal.
When you want it to start up again, you would have to press a note on your midi keyboard again, but only just long enough to start the click again while holding the pedal.

Just make sure you record the either the click or the midi note should you want to use the click track again.

www.syrland.is
www.sturluson-music.com