Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Mackie Big Knob

Quote:
Since we are on this topic and beat the Mackie vs. Presonus thing to death, are there any other comparable products like this that ppl are using for monitoring?
For the poor: Samson C-Control. It's pretty bad quality but at around USD 130 for three inputs and outputs plus talkback and a microphone it can't be beaten. Also, a cheap Mackie or Tapco mixer will do the job for many people.

For the rich: No doubt that the best thing in sound for your DAW is a passive volume control. There's a few offerings around. I've used the Coleman monitor and talkback unit with great satisfaction, but at around 1200 USD you have to be somewhat of a HiFi-freak to justify the expense!

The ultimate solution: to build a switch yourself using a passive stepped balanced potententiometer. At around USD 300 for the pot alone, building a volume control yourself doesn't come cheap. But since you can build a passive volume control pretty easy and without any electronics (provided you don't need headphone output and talkback) this is the best solution for the people who hate to have anything between their HD Accel and 20K speakers.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:16 PM

I don't know Big Knob, anyway in our studio we've got a samson C-Control in the second studio and in studio A, recently, we had moved from ProControl to a new Control 24.
I'm feel not satisfied with the sound, it's sound really "cheap" than ProControl (very flat and aseptic) and "no words" for the volume knob (a channel flick when you move the knob) but it's not broken.

After changed a second unit (only for a blind test), the problems on sound and mechanics was the same.
Now i own a Control 24, but i need a new control for the sound.. mybe a new C-Control..
I never imagine a digi stuff under my expectations, i buyed a lot of thing in a decade.
It's a shame for Digidesign, i think.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:05 PM

If all you need is a volume control, the NHT Passive Volume Control is an attractive solution. It's now only $US100. You couldn't build one for less.

I've been waiting to hear about the Mackie Big Knob. Curious that the Mackie site still says "Available Soon".

The PreSonus is a nice looking unit, keeping the bulk of the connections tucked away with the rack unit. But I don't really need the 24/192 A/D converter, which probably contributes a bit to the cost.

And one nice feature of the Mackie is the turntable input. Very handy if you need to pull in some vinyl.

Ray
Old 06-06-2004, 04:20 PM

I use the NHT and like it -- it's well built and feels pro. However, at extremely low volumes (which I do like to check mixes at), the stereo image shifts. This always happens on non-stepped potentiometer based units. I've heard of people building their own with DACT stuff:

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

There may be a pre-made unit using these stepped pots somewhere, but I have only found ones built for home theater (non XLR).
Old 06-06-2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
If all you need is a volume control, the NHT Passive Volume Control is an attractive solution. It's now only $US100. You couldn't build one for less.

Only problem is its very noisy, - has problems with balanced in/outputs, and will pan the signal back and forth at low wolume... - have tested 3 units and they all had the same problems...
- perhaps we just got all the bad ones over here in Europe..

Have ordered a Big Knob for our studio and just hope my search for a nice monitorsection is over..

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 06-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Only problem is its very noisy, - has problems with balanced in/outputs, and will pan the signal back and forth at low wolume... - have tested 3 units and they all had the same problems...
- perhaps we just got all the bad ones over here in Europe..

Mine has no noise whatsoever -- the quietest piece in my studio. But if I could get somerthing without stereo image shifting...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:00 PM

I've been using the Furman SRM-80 for a few years. It has all the features I need, since I always run an open mic thru a PT channel for talkback. No stereo shift at low volumes either.

http://furmansound.com/pro/srm-80a/srm-80a.htm

What I would really like to see is a surround version of the Furman or C-station for less than $750. My surround setup is a total kluge, but there's no inexpensive way to solve the problem that I know of.

Jeff D.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:52 PM

In another thread a while ago, a few folks had some serious issues with the Furman unit.

For a (relatively) affordable surround solution, check out SPL Surround Monitor Controller.

A bit too "Retro" looking for me,
but it should do the job.

Ray
Old 06-06-2004, 08:14 PM

I've had the Furman SRM-80 and returned it do to stereo image shift. Got the new SRM-80A, same problem. But I use it for secondary monitors and headphone feed for now. Much noisier than the NHT unit.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:54 AM

Cranesong always has gotta go and up the ante:

http://www.cranesong.com/AVOCET.html
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•