Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2001, 11:49 AM

Default any current or future plans for firewire 001 type device?

Could Brent or someone else from tech support answer this question- even just to say that they are not at liberty to answer the question?
Thanks
Pete
Old 11-25-2001, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: any current or future plans for firewire 001 type device?

Digidesign, like many (if not most) companies, does not announce future products that may or may not be in development. With many companies, you will find that this is a fairly standard business practice for many reasons, including competition with other companies as well as to protect sales of existing products. Sometimes a company will pre-announce a product for different marketing reasons, such as when MOTU ran ads in many publications for about a year before their first audio hardware actually shipped.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the response. I read on a masterlist CD post that there were no current or future plans for the software to support firewire burners, so I wondered if you could answer the firewire 001 question. If I knew that such a product will emerge in the next two months then I would be spared buying a magma chassis for greater than the cost of an 001 in order to run an 001 on my PBG4- but you probably guessed that already-
I've been running protools systems professionally for 6 years now... any additional response however cryptic would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:02 AM

I am facing the same question and the same uncertainity. I may buy the overexpensive (and a bit noisy) Magma chasis to be able to run Digi 001 with a laptop (and to fix the PT card there and back from G 4) and it may happen that after two months Digidesign will announce with a broad smile firewire based 001 (or 002). I think that this kind of a „high secret“ development policy is quite unfair towards the customers. The customers should be the prime consideration, because they are the most important factor in the business. Without them – the company has no job. I would really appreciate if Digidesign can say it straight and clear – either yes, we are developing a new generation of 001 with firewire support, will be released around … or not, we will definitely not make anything like this. Then one can buy Magma without any disappointment later.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:16 PM

Business is unfair almost by definition. I prefer companies who don't pretend the customer comes first. You don't believe that stuff do you?
I didn't write this post to share my frustration or receive empathy, only to acquire a grain of information that, incidentally, might stop my $1K funding the gouging magma and redirect it into digi coffers...

Anyhow, I'll get the chassis next week and forget about all this nonsense and get back to writing tunes.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:52 PM

I would be interested to know how it works. I was told that it makes a bit of noise with the fan. Do you have a Powerbook ?
Old 11-28-2001, 10:16 AM

If you'd taken the time to actually read my post before spraying your thoughts on it, you would realise that yes I have a powerbook and that furthermore by your responses you have undermined the purpose of this posting.