Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Need Help Bad

This morning after reinstalling OSX and Protools yet another time, when launching PT normally, it freezes on creating DAE Objects.

When I restart and launch again, while holding down "N", I can easily get it to start up with core audio.

Once up and running and I change the playback engine to TDM, that's when I get the -1115 error and after that, nothing can get PT to start without getting that error immediately.

CORRECTION:

I realized I had not installed the iLok manager, funny it never gave me any notices during startup though. So I installed and now, I no longer get the -1115 error. I can now get PT to launch no problem with Core Audio, but it locks up after switching to the TDM Engine. Yet I still run DigiTest and everything passes.

I have been holding off on re-seating the cards as I'm concerned about damaging them, but am going to do that next.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Barry, have you tried to remove the (2) Accel Cards and see if the -1115 comes up with the Core Card only?
Or disconnect either the Aurora or the 192?
As for the Digitest,there are times were evethough the report looks fine..in real world the opposite happens ;-(
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Is it possible that I could have a motherboard issue?

What could randomly cause a Core card to fail?i can see damage from installing/removing!

What is the cost to repair a core card these days?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm back to the error again!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I'm back to the error again!
Barry Just to make sure something simple isn't the wrench in the wheel here :

Have you done the PRAM thing and restarted the computer afterwards as we had a similar issue a year ago on our old but trustworthy HD3 setup with 2 X 192 interfaces and it kept throwing up FW errors and all kind of mindblowing stuff but a PRAM reset made everything come back to life again.δ

I am sure you done this and I am sorry if I missed that post

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Is it possible that I could have a motherboard issue?
Yes. happened to me on a G5 years ago. Can you test the cards in another computer by chance?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Another thing that you can check is to see if the PCI slots have changed value i.e you don't have enough power for the slots and the Core card slot needs to be a bit more power assigned in some computers to function.

I would try this:

Start by carefully remove the cards and keep the core card inside the mac and restart everything.

If that doesn't work with just the core card try moving it into slot 3 and see if it comes to life.

If that doesn't work try slot 2.

Also make sure 100% that the power lanes of the slots all have enough juice as that can make the cards behave badly on 1.1 Macs. We had a whole day of realization and google-ing to get the HD3 to,work on a Mac 1.1

Hope that any of this helps you to the next step in trouble shooting

And Don't forget the PRAM reset aswell

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 PM

Reset PRAM, no help.

Will protools launch if I install the TDM version without any cards installed?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:12 AM

I had this problem on a set of PCIx cards a long time back. The shop guy who took the cards out of the computer and reinstalled them knocked off these very very tiny resistors at the end of end of the card when seating them (surface mount type but you can see them). They are terminating resistors as far as I can remember what the tech told me. The cards passed Digitest (which BTW is not always an accurate indication of health) but would not launch PT. We had to send the cards back for swap. Quite expensive at that time. You may want to confirm which card is doing this if indeed it's the card. Start with the core only and see where you get. Maybe this will help point you in a correct direction.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Last night I pulled all cards, and left only the Core Card in slot three, was able to get Digitest to run, and the core card failed.

After that, I can no longer get Digitest to run, or PTHD to launch, back to the 1115 error.

I can't see any visual issues with the card. How can a card that has worked flawlessly for so long, just all of a sudden fail? No movement of the computer, not movement of the cards, the only variable was that I installed Eleven Rack Drivers......How in the world could that cause any issues?

Could it have messed up a firmware on the card? I don't ever remember ever dealing with firmware on my HD Cards in the past.