How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Default replace audio files in library

Hello,

this is my first post here. I will try to explain my question the simplest possible even though it might be a bit complicated. Here goes:

I've been using Cubase some time now but recently i started working on ProTools, finding it a really powerfull program.

A function(trick) i used to do with Cubase was the following. In a project with let's say a stereo track of Drums, i could replace an imported file in the cubase library with any other file with the same name keeping all the region and edits and warp etc. when i open the project. Is that possibile on protools? Can i replace a file manually in the library of the project?

If you ask why would i want that, the reason is that if i edit (or time edit) an imported audio file and then want to update it (lets say it's the stereo output of 8 drum tracks of another project and i decide to change the volume of the snare) i wouldn't have to do the editing all over again.

I hope it is clear what I am asking.. sorry if not!

thanks in advance

Kostas
Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 AM

Default Re: replace audio files in library

anyone???
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't think this trading of files can be done because PT time-stamps each piece of audio(no time stamp would mean PT would not be able to place the file. You can certainly import audio files into any session. See the drop down menu; File>Import>Import Audio, or, if you are importing from another PT session, choose File>Import>import Session Data(point to the source session and select the track you want and it will import the entire track, complete with plugins). These skills take a little time to learn, but will be invaluable

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Well , you see it's not the plugins or presets that i am concert of. I would be interested on replacing the audio file itself, keeping the warp positions where they were without having to do all the work again.
Maybe a trick would be editing the original file of the library and pasting on it the new one (with a simple wave editor) thus it retains it's properties...??? hmm seems complicated but sure could save time!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM

I don't know if this is what your talking about but you can warp any audio track to any tempo using the tce tool.
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks

Last edited by sbag; 06-15-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems i didn't explain very well though what i am looking to do. I'll try better with an example.

1. I have a project with 8 mono channels (drums). I export a stero drum.wav file after editing.

2. I import this in ProTools. I warp and do the elastic time stuff.

3. I decide to change the sound of the snare drum on my first project. I do it and i export again a drum.wav stereo file with the same duration, channel etc.

In Cubase it was enough to replace the initial drum.wav with the new one on the sound pool and when you opend your 2nd project, all the edits and time adjustments remained so you didnt have to do it again from scratch (after all the duration didn't change only the snare drum sound changed).

The question is:
Is that possibile on ProTools? I tried replacing the file manualy but it didn't accept it. Is there a way from the program with link and stuff?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enteroutside View Post
The question is:
Is that possibile on ProTools? I tried replacing the file manualy but it didn't accept it. Is there a way from the program with link and stuff?
No, not the way you're describing. Albee mentioned time stamping, but that's not the problem either. The problem is that PT assigns a unique file ID to every file and uses this along with the file name to reference it. Simply replacing a file with one of the same name will not work since PT will recognize that the unique ID is different.

You possibly can do this using the find and relink function. After you replace the file in the Audio Files folder, open the session in PT and when you get the find and relink widow, navigate to and link the new file. Making sure it is the same length as the old one would help.

PT does have a region replace function that would do what you want, but it's only available in HD and the more expensive toolkits.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Thank you Jimmy for your answer.

I tried with the link but sometimes doesn't work so here is how I managed to do it in the end:

I export from the 1st project a split stereo (the way protools handles audio too) and then i paste my new mono file to the old one (the waveform of course) thus allowing it to retain its id. I do both files (L+R) using a simple audio editor of copy paste. It works!

cheers :)
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enteroutside View Post
Thank you Jimmy for your answer.

I tried with the link but sometimes doesn't work so here is how I managed to do it in the end:

I export from the 1st project a split stereo (the way protools handles audio too) and then i paste my new mono file to the old one (the waveform of course) thus allowing it to retain its id. I do both files (L+R) using a simple audio editor of copy paste. It works!

cheers :)
Cool! It may be a little out of the way, but it always feels good to figure out ways of "Jimmy-ing" the system.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control