Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 AM

Default EQ for film & TV use

Hey all.

I´m lookinng for a good eq for use with PtLE. I already have the waves Masters bundle, but the Linear Phase EQ is like cutting butter with a chainsaw for my use.
It is far to precise for my needs, uses too much CPU, the bands aren´t freely sweepable so I either have to use the lowband to focus on only the lower frequencies or the broadband which has only one band for adjusting in the bassregister.

I need something that has something like 6 bands of freely sweepable bands. I´ll use it mostly for repairing crappy recordings and removing noise.
It´s also nice if it doesn´t hog the cpu as much. One important thing is to be able to drag the frequency knob and hear the result, something the Phase Eq doesn´t support.

Reneissance EQ is a possibility, but any other options you would recommend?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: EQ for film & TV use

I use Waves' Q10 for everything, dialogue sound, sfx, etc. The plugin comes as 4,6,8 and 10 band versions, so you can start with a Q10, and if you only need, say, 6 bands, you can change the plugin to Q6 after tweaking and the settings will stay the same but less dsp will be used. What I especially like about it is that you can use very narrow Q-settings to cut trouble-frequencies away one by one. It's included in a very cheap bundle, the Native Powerpack along with L1 limiter, C1 compressor, TrueVerb reverb, SuperTap delay and DeEsser (around 500€) which are all good. It's also in Gold, Platinum and Diamond bundles. Another great bundle for TV anf Film sound is the Waves Restoratin bundle, with X-noise, X-hum, X-click and X-crackle. You can really fix a lot off things that has gone wrong in the production sound, but it's pretty expensive, over 1000€.
Ren EQ is also ok, but not as precise as the Q10.
Good luck, Janne Ahonen rules.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:50 AM

Of course, some say the Q-eqs don't sound all that good...
Old 01-24-2005, 08:16 AM

Yeah, they are probably not the most 'musical' eq's on the planet, but who wants 'musical' for film sound anyway...
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 AM

Surgical eq is definitely the need here.
You can even use the Ren EQ-6 if the Q's are too sterile, which I don't find them to be. The Waves Musician bundle can be had pretty cheap nowadays, might be worth looking into.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:03 AM

Hello. Check into the Elemental Audio EQ line, Firium and Equim. Very good and very affordable. And if you buy before January ends, half the money goes to Tsunami victims. Mc DSP Filterbank is fantastic. On the high price end, the Sony Oxford line and the George Massenburg EQ's are very, very good.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 AM

HI check out the Mastering linear EQ from www.elementalaudio.com

and don´t get fool by the low price, these are real innovative killer plugs!

and there are demos, too.

regs