Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Can\'t hear midi playback inside PT 6.4

I have a midi track and an aux track set up for recording midi and playback. I've been able to record midi data onto the midi track and I've been able to hear the midi while I'm practicing and recording. However, when I press stop in the transport and hit the spacebar for playback, I can't hear the midi track I've just recorded. The levels are pumping in both the midi and aux tracks, just can't hear it!

Here is what I've got for settings:

Midi track with input selector set to receive on all channels and output on 1 of 16 channels of the 001 (this could be the problem, I'm not sure where the output of the midi track should go!).

Auxiliary track with input selector set to receive the midi on channels 5-6 and output selector set to Path 1 (ch. 1-2).

Midi thru is checked
Input filter is set to all

I've almost got this thing working now, I just really need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Can\'t hear midi playback inside PT 6.4

If during playback both meters are 'dancing', then you are indeed getting the sound back into the PC from your synth. The problem is now on your output settings. Have you plugged in headphones to the headphone jack to see if sound is coming out there during playback?

Are you using a 002? Mbox? 001?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM

Yes, I just checked to see if I could hear the play back thru the keyboard headphone jack. I wasn't hearing anything there.

I have a 001. I agree the problem is with the ouput of the midi track, I'm going to list what I have for options on the midi track:

Digidesign 001 ch. 1-16
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth ch. 1-16
Soundmax WDM midi ch.1-16

I've tried putting the midi output selector on all of the Digidesign channels (1-16). I even found a way to right-click in Windows, then left-click to select 2 channels at a time in the output selector (i.e. the channels that I have my auxiliary track monitoring for midi playback).

Please help,

Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 AM

Yo ditherman,

put the output on the midi channel to channel one of the instrument of your choice ( subtractor 1 (reason)for example).

put reason as insert on the aux and there you go (input is not important and output goes to 1&2).

Tuur
Digi002R
StudioTuur
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 AM

I just checked to see if I could hear the playback thru the keyboard headphone jack and the 001 headphone jack. I wasn't hearing anything there.

I have a 001. I agree the problem is with the ouput of the midi track, I'm going to list what I have for options on the midi track:

Digidesign 001 ch. 1-16
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth ch. 1-16
Soundmax WDM midi ch.1-16

I've tried putting the midi output selector on all of the Digidesign channels (1-16). I even found a way to right-click in Windows, then left-click to select 2 channels at a time in the output selector (i.e. the channels that I have my auxiliary track monitoring for midi playback).

Please help,

Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Hey Ditherman. If the Aux track is pumping, then it is getting sound from somewhere. If you cannot hear the music from your PT or Keyboard, then you are probably triggereing the built-in windows MIDI stuff.

What kind of synth are you using? Ill run a quick sample of my synth setup:

Digidesign: Midi going from DIGI Midi Output, Channel 1. (Midi Recieve on all channels)
Digidesign Midi Out -> Midi In on Korg Triton
Make sure my Triton is in "Program" mode,

Make sure your synth is set to "Local Control" Off. What this means, is that the synth will be controlled from the computer, and not from the controls on the unit.

Ill wait for you to answer some of this stuff before I type anymore, just to see if I am explaining stuff you already know, or what...

=-Ben
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM

Actions required to reproduce the problem:
>1. Create 1 new midi track
>2. Set midi input selector to channel 1
>3. Set midi output selector to channel 1
>4. Arm midi track for record

Then I did this, except I'm not sure you need an aux track to record and playback a midi track now.
>
5. Create a stereo Aux track
>6. Set Aux input to analog 5-6
>7. Set Aux output to Path 1 (ch. 1-2)
>8. Raise the Aux fader to hear midi keyboard
>
>At this point I'm seeing levels in the midi track levels meter. I'm seeing
>levels in the aux track levels meter.
>
>9. Press 'go to zero' on transport and record.
>10. Hit the space bar and record midi information.
>11. Disable record button on midi track.
>12. Press play on transport to hear the midi playback...
>
>no sound in my monitors. level meters are pumping but no sound.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:21 AM

Hopefully this fix is abit simpler than you guys are making this out to be. I've delt with this before. Check and see if you have Auto Input checked or if you have the Input Only on. You can check this by doing ALT + K. If your Aux track is lighting up then you should have audio comming in, and switching these settings should correct it.
Hope this works!