Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Default Re: ProTools is obsolete ;-)

I'm an "iLifer"

I am an amateur photographer. Actually, I suck at photography. Yeah, I can RTFM and go to classes at B&H, but my eye is only as good as it is. But I'm a "daddy" photographer -- and I take a zillion pictures of my girls. I then use iLife tools to make amazing photo books to give to family and friends.

Not impossible to do it without iLife tools, but Apple made it so damn easy, a caveman can do it. Even me. And my family thinks I'm a photo-geek, when in reality, Nikon and Apple are doing 90% of the heavy lifting. And having cute daughters as the subject makes my roll in this process about 1%.

Now, imagine the wannabe musician with garageband -- we make fun of him, yet, he is quite happy making his "song" with garageband the same way I make my photobook with iPhoto.

Will I ever be a professional photographer? Never. Will our garageband friend ever compete for our audio gigs? Unlikely.

I started this thread to poke fun at the tools that Apple is giving away... not to comment on Avid's midi implementation. I can't WAIT to use the instant trailer feature to make a video of a family event or trip.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
I'm an "iLifer"

I am an amateur photographer. Actually, I suck at photography. Yeah, I can RTFM and go to classes at B&H, but my eye is only as good as it is. But I'm a "daddy" photographer -- and I take a zillion pictures of my girls. I then use iLofe tools to make amazing photo books to give to family and friends.

Not impossible to do it without iLife tools, but Apple made it so damn easy, a caveman can do it. Even me. And my family thinks I'm a photo-geek, when in reality, Nikon and Apple are doing 90% of the heavy lifting. And having cute daughters as the subject makes my roll in this process about 1%.

Now, imagine the wannabe musician with garageband -- we make fun of him, yet, he is quite happy making his "song" with garageband the same way I make my photobook with iPhoto.

Will I ever be a professional photographer? Never. Will our garageband friend ever compete for our audio gigs? Unlikely.

I started this thread to poke fun at the tools that Apple is giving away... not to comment on Avid's midi implementation. I can't WAIT to use the instant trailer feature to make a video of a family event or trip.
+1

I completely agree, sorry for maybe participating in disrupting the original thread
---
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM | 192 I/O | HD2 Accel | UAD2 Duo | Mac OS 10.6.4 | Pro Tools HD 9.02 | HEAT | UAD Plugins 5.4.1 | Novation Automap 3.0
NI Komplete 6 with Kontakt 4.0 + libraries: | L.A. Scoring Strings | Symphobia | True Strike 1 + 2 | Galaxy II | Scarbee K.G.B.
SoundToys Native 3.1.1 | Waves Ren. Maxx TDM 7.1 | Melodyne Plugin 1.0.4 | Superior Drummer 2.2.1 | Addictive Drums 1.5.1 | Ampeg SVX 1.1.3

Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm an "iLifer" too man, didn't intend to put users of it down. I'm mainly trying to counter the "pro" view that, while yes the availability of these basic tools can increase output of mediocre crap, it also increases the ability to learn and grow. There are plenty of high-dollar PT HD shops/producers pumping out mediocre crap anyway.

So the prevalence of starter-tools with "guided-workflows" doesn't mean something will suck -- here's an entire album recorded/mixed in Garageband ONLY (no plugs, default available effects) with an M-Audio USB int and two very basic Mics:

http://www.bengortmaker.com/
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 AM

"There are plenty of high-dollar PT HD shops/producers pumping out mediocre crap anyway"

Ha ha! Very true.

"So the prevalence of starter-tools with "guided-workflows" doesn't mean something will suck -- here's an entire album recorded/mixed in Garageband ONLY (no plugs, default available effects) with an M-Audio USB int and two very basic Mics:"

http://www.bengortmaker.com/

Good stuff .........

I would've killed for these kinds of tools when I started out, they are quite brilliant and yes there will be an awful lot of crap put out there (but the internet is to blame for that cos in days gone by most of the real crap got filtered out by record companies etc and we never even knew about it) having said that of course it's a double edged sword and I bet we never got to hear some real talent due to short term, narrow minded thinking from the aforementioned companies.

The thing is that really good music, whatever genre, in general it'll find it's way through with or without our help.