Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
No. I'm not running AMD. But I am running an Intel Core 2 Quad with PT8. Much more affordable build at this point vs. I5 or I7. You can only use DDR2 RAM as opposed to the latest and greatest DDR3, but this is really insignificant in most user cases. Mine runs great with dual channel RAM, and I regularly run 32 track sessions with plug-ins galore.
Steve, are you using the on board video with this mobo (Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus), and how is the noise level? I'm still running a PT7.3 system on XP and need to change out my old noisy mobo and video controller. Otherwise, I love my system and it is rock solid! The P5G41T-M LX Plus are going for only $55 bucks on ebay now ... bargain time!
Thanks much,
James
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM

No, I'm running an AMD 512mb Radeon video card. No one seems to want to try onboard video yet, and I guess I'm one of them. I think that onboard video will be just fine to use in a generation or two (either style of mobo). Anyway, the Radeon seems to run PT just fine, but I'm getting the jumpy 'refresh' screen crap on XP. It doesn't seem to matter with Wiin7, though.

What do you mean by the noise level? No noise.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Checking in for updates here as well. I was running PT 8 LE w/ a digi 003 rack and my machine is giving out. Time to go Mac or build a new PC, but either way, I feel a bit in over my head. I'm skipping a lot of the commentary on here from 2010-2011, and I'm wondering about a 2013/PT10-11 update to this thread.
I have a new HP Envy, Windows 8, AMD FX-6120, six core 3.5GHz, 10GB RAM, x64-based processor. For some reason Sandra shows nothing when I run it, or I'd paste in a Sandra report. Wondering if that machine could work for me?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Here is the most current thread on new Windows systems.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks Tom, wading through that thread lately. Just noticed that the system suggestions, which started it off, were from a long time ago and was wondering:
1. If what I've got available might be a good starting point or usable as is.
2. If not, what I should be looking to buy and try to put together.

I've had a few people tell me to make the jump to Mac, but between budget and being a PC guy, I'm hesitant unless there's a compelling argument for it. At this point that argument might just be that I'm comfy with windows and PCs, but not necessarily comfy enough to research the components and build one from scratch to run PT for me.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Anybody care to weigh in on Rain computers? For those of us who lack the expertise to build from scratch, but want a solid PC for Pro Tools work, the Googling I've been doing (and some forum checking) makes it seem like a pro-built PC or a Mac is the way to go for me to use my Digi 003 rack, but wondering if there's any experience out there with them, for those of us who want something workable somewhat "out of the box."
Thanks all!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSound View Post
Anybody care to weigh in on Rain computers? For those of us who lack the expertise to build from scratch, but want a solid PC for Pro Tools work, the Googling I've been doing (and some forum checking) makes it seem like a pro-built PC or a Mac is the way to go for me to use my Digi 003 rack, but wondering if there's any experience out there with them, for those of us who want something workable somewhat "out of the box."
Thanks all!
There is a new one coming along called "Pro Tools PC" I believe the American franchise will be built out of Rain. I would wait for that if that was what I was after. It should be released soon.

Otherwise the last 5-10 pages of the link Tom sent you to will have quite of few great builds all based around the 3930k processor

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Hey does anybody know if there's a way to install a firewire 400 port on an iMac? I've got a digi003, never had a Mac before and my wife just bought me one for my birthday to run my Pro Tools on, but there's no firewire port for my Digi 003 to plug into.
In over my head a bit on this thing, and would love to hear any thoughts.
Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Best lead I have so far on this is to use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...rewire-adaptor
And add to it a firewire 800 to firewire 400 adapter:
http://store.apple.com/us/search/Mos...eWire-Adapter#

And that should allow me to use the Thunderbolt jack in the iMac to connect my digi 003 firwire 400 port to.
Is Pro Tools going to like this?
Thanks for any ideas!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Might want to try posting this in the Mac forum - or trade the Mac in for a custom built PC
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction