Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 02:44 PM

Default Waveforms present but no audio

I keep encountering a bug in PT 5.1 where after open a session, previously recorded audio across an entire track will not play back. The region and waveforms are visible but no meter movement or audio is present. This doesn't seem to be linked to voice assignment (as I have tried auto and defined voices).

The only way I can get the track to play is to create a new track and move audio, plug-ins, sends etc. to the new track.

If anyone has experienced this help me figure out what is going on.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2001, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Waveforms present but no audio

I've encountered this before and what worked for me was to limit the amount of space on the record drive. Also session start time should not exceed 9 hours. So if you have audio on a track at 10 hours and your session start time is 0 hours you could possibly have a problem there.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:50 AM

Hi, I´ve experienced this problem with unauthorized or trial plug Ins where the trial period has expired. I.e. unauthorized Waves Plug Ins mute the track so no audio is played back and no meter moves.

So: check if there are critical plugs in those tracks that don´t play back. Maybe the dongle is not connected properly or the authorization was deleted or damaged on the harddisk.. I´ve experienced both in the past.

regards,
Old 06-20-2001, 06:06 AM

I experienced the same thing, but it went alittle further: when the start point of my recording was past around 376 000 000 samples, the wave was OK but the sound I was hearing was coming from other session (beeps, whites noises, music, dialogs and other wierdnesses). Also, when I zoomed in, the wave changed a one point so I could actually see what I was hearing (not what I had recorded).

Scary
Old 06-20-2001, 10:26 PM

I occasionally get a similar problem where a particular session goes into phantom mode and won't allow you to record.

Actually it does allow you to record, and it draws the waveform of the material you've recorded. But when you play it back, it pulls audio from a random place.

Sometimes it's from a completely different drive. Sometimes it's a piece of audio that was deleted 2 weeks ago.

I defrag my drive nearly every week and never fill it up more than about 60%.

Once it does this to a particular session, that session is cursed, and nothing you do will change it.
Trashing prefs, rebooting, etc.etc. does nothing. That particular session still plays up.

It's only happened a couple of times, but when it did, it lost really important V/O's and cost a lot of time and $$$ to redo it.

Digi, any ideas what this could be?
Old 06-21-2001, 12:11 AM

None of these replies sound like the problem I am having.

When I open a session that I have previously worked on, I often find that one of the tracks does not play back. All other tracks play fine (I.E. the session is missing one instrument or voice over etc.). The track in question is always a mono track and I think it always has plug-ins inserted.

I have now been able to get playback from a track with this problem by clicking on the tracks inserts several times. After doing this the track plays fine. I'm not sure that this is always the case but it seems to be associated with the Bombfactory 1176 plugin.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2001, 06:49 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Furn:
when the start point of my recording was past around 376 000 000 samples, the wave was OK but the sound I was hearing was coming from other session (beeps, whites noises, music, dialogs and other wierdnesses).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Do a search in the Web Answerbase for "garbage audio"

Brent