Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2001, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Drum Overhead Miking?

If your pre doesn't have a phase reverse switch, you can put the Digi eq plug on the track, and click on that "zero with a line through it looking thing" - aka: phase switch.

I just tried a pair of KSM32's, and a pair of Studio Projects C1's (since everybody is raving about them) but I'm leaning towards the Shures, they seem a little smother, and less harsh on the cymbals and hats.

The set-up I'm liking the most...so far, is about 55" straight up from the center of the snare, then back 12" (right over the drummers head), then 16" apart -facing opposite directions.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 32 and 44, all I know is I've read about a lot of pro's who love the 32's for overheads - so I gave them a try. You could certainly try your 44 and see how you like it. If I were you, I'd use my best two pre channels for the overheads, I think they play the biggest role in getting a good drum sound. I'd suggest the Presonus Digimax for the rest of your kit.

Old 12-11-2001, 05:36 AM

bassmac, the 44s are a multipatern version of the 32s. Same diaphrams.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:11 AM

Thanks Stan.

I'm now starting to like the C1's in a X-Y set-up.

Maybe it's knowing I get two C1's for the price of one 32 that's influencing my hearing.

Old 12-12-2001, 11:59 AM

In case anybody is still interested.

The C1's are a very bright mic, and let in a lot of sound. Since my overheads are about 3-4' away from the cymbals, the sustain rings on toooo long, and I've decided they are in fact just to harsh up close.

The KSM32's are richer, less harsh, and don't pick-up all the trashy sustain.

I am liking one of the C1's as a single room mic about six feet out in front of the kit. This is more how the U87 type mic's are used anyway.

Old 12-12-2001, 01:03 PM

I once had an interesting discussion with a Front-of House engineer on this subject. He explained to me that the sound generated from a cymbal comes out from the edge as opposed to up from the top. Placing "overhead" mikes in FROööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö ööööööööööööööös and distances until you get it right.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:08 PM

I probably should add that this guy was working with a 13 piece band on a huge stage with a string section, two guitars, two keyboard rigs, and big swells of sound. He really needed the cymbal mics more for the cymbals to cut through, not so much for the conventional "whole kit" overhead theory.
Still an interesting angle.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:53 PM

I'm a fan of the XY technique because it's a bit like an audio camera - it gives you a stereo picture looking down at the kit. If you bring it up first, you'll hear the kit spread across the speakers. Then you can bring your spot mics up one at a time and pan them to match the stereo picture. When you're done you can drop the level of the overheads a little, and you should be cooking.

Just my opinion....
Old 12-13-2001, 06:35 AM

I agree with this last opinion as long as we're talking about studio recording situation, where you can control sound and isolation to a higher degree; since I work as a live engineer too (during summer toures and festivals) the "cymbals only" theory sounds good to me, but only for live applications, where you have to isolate things from each other to avoid bleeding, and have a clearer uncluttered FOH mix; in this case I use a lot more of the close up mics on the drum kit too, to build the kit's sound, and place things in the stereo spectrum; to me a very close mic, like the one on the snare, which is usually 1" to 2" from the drum, doesn't sound like a "snare", but more like a 130 dB SPL gunshot, more so if you EQ and compress it; so to make it sound like what it is it's good to use over heads, which usually have a more global focus of the sound: it's like shooting a picture, if you go too much close you don't understand what you are shooting at.

Cheers

L.G.