Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Switched from PC monitor to Dangerous Monitor ST....

...and I wanted to post my thoughts since there has been some discussion about the audio quality of the PC monitor section.

I'm really pretty amazed how different it sounds.

I had the upgraded PC monitor section with the ePot. I had my Genelec 1031a's hooked up through the C/R out, and my NS-10's with a sub through the ALT out. The first thing that struck me is how much more similar my 2 sets of speakers sounded. This made sense, since the PC's alt out and C/R out were totally different circuits after the ePOT mod.

Aside from the L/R balance now being perfect at all volume levels, my speakers sound so much cleaner than with the PC - especially my NS10's which were hooked up in the ALT out. I'm able to hear all sorts of detail in my mixes that I couldn't hear with the PC. I love being able to listen very quietly while still having a perfect L/R balance. The volume control on the dangerous remote triggers a relay in the dangerous rack, similar to the Cranesong Avocet, which is why the L/R balance is perfect.

I don't love the Talkback on it - the talkback doesn't dim the cue send nearly as much as the PC did, and the talkback remote jack doesn't dim the control room speakers like the panel switch does. Fortunately, Dangerous is going to mod my unit to change both of those behaviors. Also, I really love the placement and feel of the PC talkback button, so I'm going to have a local tech wire the PC talkback button to the remote jack on the Dangerous. These things are just preference, and probably don't matter to most, but it is different than the PC.

I'm really happy with this box....wishing I would have done this earlier.

- Kent