Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 10:59 AM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

When I was at the genius bar getting my iMac re-imaged, I was being helped by a more senior / advanced genius that was training a more junior genius. The senior genius told the junior, "Avid doesn't like new apple releases." My reply, "Avid would be happy if Apple didn't release any new products for like 3 years." Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Who doesn't disagree with this statement?
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 11-15-2023, 11:21 AM

In reality Apple revamps major frameworks every three years, and the two in between are not so big upgrades. New features and blingbling, but rarely new frameworks (under the hood).

So consider macOS 11/12/13 one masterplan executed gradually, and 14/15/16 the current/next one. During these three years they are supposed to drop Intel code (and Rosetta) altogether.

Once that happens we may experience "the snow leopard effect" once again. Suddenly everything ran a lot smoother without a line of PPC code in the system.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
When I was at the genius bar getting my iMac re-imaged, I was being helped by a more senior / advanced genius that was training a more junior genius. The senior genius told the junior, "Avid doesn't like new apple releases." My reply, "Avid would be happy if Apple didn't release any new products for like 3 years." Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Who doesn't disagree with this statement?
Few software developers would like *most* Apple updates, but have in mind that these updates are meant to keep the ship moving forward. Fixing bugs, yes, but also incorporating new and faster things. Allowing for hardware evolutions. And that's a win for software developers, too.

It does tend to break things along the way, and 3rd parties spend a lot of time playing catchup with Apple, but this is how it's always been, and how it will be for a long time until someone can develop a better system.

As tends to happen, we see people update to the latest major OS (Ventura --> Sonoma, for instance) and they complain about various random issues. Then a .1 OS update is issued, and a new version of PT, and suddenly they've never had such a fast and smooth system.

I go through that a lot. It's why I wait for the .1 OS updates. Though I typically update PT on its release date and only rarely has that been a problem.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:39 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Paul

Great comeback......:). Having worked for Apple for years, I bet that went over well with the Genius dude.

My line to the Genius Bar peeps when I HAVE to go in is usually.... I worked at Apple before you were even conceived so don't be telling me........

HA!
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 11-16-2023, 01:17 AM

Just a heads up.

This morning I had slight problems with 14.1.1 so I installed 14.2 beta 3 and PT works smoother than ever on Sonoma.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just a heads up.

This morning I had slight problems with 14.1.1 so I installed 14.2 beta 3 and PT works smoother than ever on Sonoma.
Appreciate that info, staying on 14.1 here -- everything working perfectly
Old 11-16-2023, 06:40 AM

Are you guys having issues with plugin search, soundflow, or plugins not recalling settings properly? I got a new M3 Max macbook, and I can't use it because I'm having all of these issues with Sonoma.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:33 PM

yes, plugin search is broken.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:45 PM

Plugin search is broken for many users, and there is a severe bug in MiniGrand UI handling that can cause Pro Tools crashes and hangs. Unclear if they are all MiniGrand bugs or it's more widespread. Avid support has all the info from me for both cases (well the no search is trivial to reproduce) and Marianna is helping make sure the crash/hang gets attention for future releases. Unclear if the crashes/hangs here are Intel only or not (I'm running on Intel).
Old 11-23-2023, 04:09 AM

For me, PT is rapidly becoming untenable as a professional tool and, for software that is perpetually unusable, far too expensive. I have been using various DAWs for over 20 years, and I have NEVER encountered a product which is not only overpriced, but a perpetual construction site. I realise that complex configurations and ever shorter OS development cycles brings challenges, but I am not bound to the standards of large companies doing music, film etc. so I think the moment is rapidly approaching to leave the Avid ecosystem. We have invested a very serious amount of money in Avid products, which perform at a very high level when they actually work. But the downtime has reached critical mass, and we do not feel that Avid is capable of supporting us reliably. We have already begun the migration to other DAWS but this will probably take some time. I am extremely dissapointed that the problems with PT have essentially never stopped, and that Avid still somehow feels it is ok to charge substantial amounts of money for services and products that are not adequate for our needs.