Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 01:40 AM

Default Pro Tools Backup!

Hello. First of all, apologies for the translation, I speak Spanish. The thing is that I have to return my computer to its factory state, and I want to keep everything related to pro tools in Time Machine, from the current configuration, plugins, projects, etc. I want that when I return to my machine pro Tools stay exactly the same. Is it possible to achieve this? Can someone give me a detailed guide? I mean, I seriously don't want to lose the smallest detail in relation to Pro Tools, the rest doesn't matter to me. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2023, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Backup!

By the way, Fidel lists his rig as:
Imac 2017/macOS Monterrey/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4/Pro Tools Studio

A Time Machine backup of your HD in its current state might bring it all back once you "restore from backup". But maybe something like "Carbon Copy Cloner" for an exact copy? Standby for some better ideas from others...
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 11-15-2023, 06:45 AM

What is wrong with your computer that you need to return it to its factory state? Are you replacing the hard drive?

If there is some level of software corruption on your machine, neither of those methods will do a clean restore.

Pro Tools is easy enough to install, as well as any plugins.

If you want to save your Pro Tools preferences, you can use PT Prefs by Pete Gates to backup your preferences and then restore them once the new installation has happened.

In my opinion, It’s always best to clean install Pro Tools and all the plugins. Sessions can be backed up on any plug-in hard drive.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:53 AM

as its2loud has stated, it's best to do a fresh reimage and reinstall of everything. Just make sure all your PT Sessions are backed up. You'll have to reinstall all plug-in's etc.

As far as I know, and as far as I have tried, Time Machine doesn't do a re-image back to a previous Mac Version. At one time, I believe it did, but I attempted this a few weekends a go and Time Machine only restored data and settings, not the OS.

I had to bring the Mac to the Apple Store where they re-imaged the system with Ventura, then I spent all day re-installing everything and restoring data.

To do what you want to do, you should have cloned (taken an image using 3rd party software) of your existing system. The image process should write out an iso file. Then through some magic key commands during boot up, boot strap to your bootable iso image and re-flash the hd.

I have not started investigating any 3rd party software yet. I also would suggest an NvME disk for backup. Maybe two, one for Time Machine and one for any bootable iso's you want to create. Using spinning media or NAS is painful to say the least.

So long story short, no Time Machine does not re-image the system back to what it was yesterday (OS and all). Only data... to the best of my knowledge.

Re-image, reinstall, restore sessions is your best bet!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 11-15-2023, 10:57 AM

Long story short: any PT user wants to start from a clean system to avoid random errors.

Longer story. Wipe the hard drive, install the OS, install PT, install plugins, copy your files *manually* from your manual backup on external drive. Do not use Migration Assassin or Time Machine. Do it yourself.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel View Post
Hello. First of all, apologies for the translation, I speak Spanish. The thing is that I have to return my computer to its factory state, and I want to keep everything related to pro tools in Time Machine, from the current configuration, plugins, projects, etc. I want that when I return to my machine pro Tools stay exactly the same. Is it possible to achieve this? Can someone give me a detailed guide? I mean, I seriously don't want to lose the smallest detail in relation to Pro Tools, the rest doesn't matter to me. Thank you!
There is a way. PT Prefs app is amazing and does all the hard work for you.

https://petegates.com/pgptprefs.html