Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Sonoma is now 14.1. The .1 release typically brings a lot of fixes.

So, how are we feeling about Sonoma and PT today?
I like it. 2018 Mac Mini, 32G…Steinberg interface

2017 Intel Mac Mini, 32G, PT 2023.12 Studio, Presonus Quantum 2626 and a bunch of stuff via ADAT
Old 11-05-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It won't necessarily be glitchy. Many people are having no issues of any kind.

I noticed that your signature shows a 5K monitor (and not the latest version of PT). That may involved scaling, and scaling can often introduce the glitches you're describing. But this would not be expected in many (perhaps most) scenarios.

As always, forums attract posts about problems -- successes less so -- so this isn't indicative of the population.
Hi Eric, I updated my sig block. I'm running 2023.9 and I use a scaled resolution of 2048x1152 (just cause the default is too small for my eyes.) My prescription glasses are fairly strong.

Last week I read this thread, and decided, Ok I'm imbetween projects, so I'll give it a go. After it rebooted everything was fine, PT launched but then crashed. I rebooted, and relaunched PT and noticed it was loading sessions, and playing just fine, except the play-head line was jittery. I thought I could just use my Time Machine backup to go back to Ventura, but I guess it doesn't work like that. Thus, Apple Store re-imaged back to venture and I spent all Sunday/Sunday night reloading software. The good thing that came out of it was I dumped a 10 year old LaCie NLSAS backup drive and got myself a new Samsung 970 2TB NVME drive!

So, if I understand you correctly, it all has to do with how I'm using a scaled resolution?
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 11-05-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Hi Eric, I updated my sig block. I'm running 2023.9 and I use a scaled resolution of 2048x1152 (just cause the default is too small for my eyes.) My prescription glasses are fairly strong.

Last week I read this thread, and decided, Ok I'm imbetween projects, so I'll give it a go. After it rebooted everything was fine, PT launched but then crashed. I rebooted, and relaunched PT and noticed it was loading sessions, and playing just fine, except the play-head line was jittery. I thought I could just use my Time Machine backup to go back to Ventura, but I guess it doesn't work like that. Thus, Apple Store re-imaged back to venture and I spent all Sunday/Sunday night reloading software. The good thing that came out of it was I dumped a 10 year old LaCie NLSAS backup drive and got myself a new Samsung 970 2TB NVME drive!
How are things now, after you've reloaded all software? Still glitchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, it all has to do with how I'm using a scaled resolution?
I couldn't predict if it "all has to do with" scaling, but scaling has shown to be problematic in other scenarios. I've run across issues for which I couldn't find culprits and it ended up being related to scaling.

That said, I also use scaling (I forget the resolution -- it's just one click larger) and it's been ok. But it can all boil down to one particular plugin that doesn't like to be scaled.

Hopefully you're not having issues after the big reinstallation.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
How are things now, after you've reloaded all software? Still glitchy?

I couldn't predict if it "all has to do with" scaling, but scaling has shown to be problematic in other scenarios. I've run across issues for which I couldn't find culprits and it ended up being related to scaling.

That said, I also use scaling (I forget the resolution -- it's just one click larger) and it's been ok. But it can all boil down to one particular plugin that doesn't like to be scaled.

Hopefully you're not having issues after the big reinstallation.
Everything is 100% back to normal. No issues. Opened dozens of sessions, all play good, play head is smooth. Even opened some sessions from 12 years ago that were done on PT 9. Totally fine.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 11-08-2023, 09:54 AM

3 days since I was forced to go to Sonoma due to an unrecoverable ProMotion-related macOS 13.6 update bug

and with 2023.9 and macOS 14.1, everything running perfectly on large post sessions and zero issues. PT may even be runnning a little better than in Ventura, but it feels like graphics in sonoma in general (mission control animations and window manager etc.) are all smoother.

cannot search for insert plugins as other users previously noted but I'm sure that will be fixed.

M2 laptop
Old 11-08-2023, 02:50 PM

My son has been running Pro Tools Intro on Sonoma on his 2013 iMac. It seems usable but slow. Then again he only has 8 GB of RAM too.

He is 8 so he is just messing around but I wish I had told him not to upgrade to Sonoma when he asked. It has been generally buggy
Old 11-08-2023, 03:03 PM

Ten years and insufficient memory really shows. You could help the situation by upgrading that spinner to SSD drive and upgrading the memory (32GB max), but it will still show its age. At least the worst bottlenecks would be gone.

If you are willing to spend some money upgrading old computer, I suggest you visit macsales.com
Old 11-08-2023, 06:45 PM

FWIW, running Sonoma 14.1 on my M1 Max Mac Studio and things seem to be going well here. I have 64GB of RAM.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:09 PM

I’m constantly hoping for more cpu power so I got an m3 max MacBook. Obviously this forced me to use Sonoma. I tested it today and I can’t tolerate the lack of plugin/iO search without clicking on “search”. And…. Most of my SoundFlow scripts also fail. Otherwise it seems pretty good. Definitely a promising cpu upgrade once avid issues an update, but will apple release a new mini or studio with the same cpu before avid is Sonoma ready? I’d really rather not use a laptop, so I’m thinking about returning it, although the M2 Max has been really great since January.

I don’t get this pattern of apple releasing non upgradable portable systems first! Also still not a fan of constant os changes that developers struggle to keep up with.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
I don’t get this pattern of apple releasing non upgradable portable systems first! Also still not a fan of constant os changes that developers struggle to keep up with.
All effects of running a successful business/Apple being a technology leader.

They need to focus on low-end simpler systems first, especially MacBook/Pro where they make most of their Mac money and face some significant competition. It's also the simpler silicon fab and packaging and low-end systems help with silicon binning (got to sell those expensive new silicon chips with non-functioning cores etc.) and suspicion is of more than hoped for teething and yield issues on TSMCs 3nm fab. You sort all this out at the simpler end before trying to do larger scale packaging. Of course Apple rides the iPhone silicon first as the most important platform for them and the rest flows from that.

And even though you are always going to see this smaller systems up lead releases Apple might be feeling like it needs to focus extra attention there now give that Broadcom is sampling next gen ARM SOCs aimed at laptops. Not a short term threat, but more a potential long term challenge to Apple, that will require a lot of changes including with improved ARM support in the Windows ecosystem. I expect you'll see Apple being careful to maneuver to cover their bases vs competition.

Constant software changes are a royal PITA, often a side effect of Apple pushing ahead with technology flowing down from the iPhone etc. Including changes in graphics and audio technology. Some of these hassles are a result of Apple's focus on privacy and security. Such as them working to kill off systems extensions/kernel drivers and enforce more security that sure helps breaks stuff. Many of these things are are in an overall good direction for consumers, and especially for Apple as they push privacy/security as a differentiator against Google/Android and Meta etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2023 at 01:06 AM.