Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Does MBox work w/ Logic?

For some reason, I haven't been able to determine whether there is or will be a Direct I/O driver to use the mBox with Logic. It's a deal breaker for me if it's not happening.

Anyone using it with Logic or know the deal? thanks.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Does MBox work w/ Logic?

A short while back, someone on the Logic list who had a (presumed) beta version of the Mbox suggested that it does indeed work - do a search on the yahoo logic user group and you'll find some interesting stuff there. There were the usual occasional errors with weird sample rates and midi/audio sync - but similar to what was seen with emagics own emi 2.6 interface early on. Logic 4.8.1 and up (including v 5 that I have) now has improved USB audio facilities, and it solved alot of the errors for me using the emi 2.6. I have no idea whether that solves some of these errors or not with the MBox. I'll probably get an Mbox in the next few months and will repost.

BTW, emagic just announced an emi 6.2m, with 6 inputs (I guess that surround thing never took off), an integrated USB hub (for your xs key among other things) and swappable SPDIF/MIDI input/outputs so that it is an all in one box. Still no mic pres, so the Mbox wins if you need that.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:10 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> BTW, emagic just announced an emi 6.2m, with 6 inputs (I guess that surround thing never took off), an integrated USB hub (for your xs key among other things) and swappable SPDIF/MIDI input/outputs so that it is an all in one box. Still no mic pres, so the Mbox wins if you need that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

great, just 2 months after i bought my emi2|6 [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
oh wait, it wont be avalaible until next year..(emi 'presented' the emi2|6 in january2001).
now i feel better [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2002, 08:27 AM

hey i've just seen the new ('avalaible 3rd quarter') emi 6|2 audio interface.
well it's just a mock up by now.
and what the rcas can turn into midi input/output? what kinda weird thing is that?

anyway i think is better to have 6 outputs than 6 inputs, so you can send your revebs, exs24 and tracks separately to a mixer.

BTW, emagic, instead of working on new products why dont you just RELEASE the ANNONOUNCED OSX drivers (or better ones for 9.2) for your own hardware?
Old 03-20-2002, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I saw the new Emagic box. The Mbox would be cool for the PT compatibility, but working with Logic is essential. I just need to get a straight from someone before buying.

thanks for the tips. I'm on the Logic list and couldn't find much there either.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:35 AM

so then has someone with the mbox tried it with logic? does it work at all?

i belive mbox has software monitoring disabled because it cant handle audio that fast over its usb. then should we assume if the MBOX ever works with logic, we wont be able to play exs24s in real time?

BTW Frank, does your copy of logic5 demand MUCH MORE cpu than 4.8.1?
Old 04-28-2002, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jindrich:
[QB]so then has someone with the mbox tried it with logic? does it work at all?

From my experience, Logic does'nt work properly with Mbox. I 've tried hours & hours and always the same message:" Error while trying sinchronize audio & midi"
I'm very dissapointed about it, since i love Logic & Pro tools too.
I will apreciate any comment from anyone
Where are you in Mallorca?
Old 04-28-2002, 10:29 AM

Someone on the logic list has gotten the Mbox to work with Propagamma's $29 ASIO USB driver (www.usb-audio.com I think) after experiencing the same errors with the DIO drivers, so thats another option. I don't have details on the setup, but they note that it does work.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:42 AM

I just got an MBox and it seems to work fine with Cubase VST. Is the problem with Logic something on the Logic side of things?

Also, the Programma ASIO/USB drivers are about $50US and not $29 according to the web site.
Cheers,
Don
Old 04-28-2002, 01:54 PM

Thanks to all (Frank & Teddybut) for your answer. This helps a lot.
But my question is: Why we have to buy an extra drivers when we supose DIO drivers must work?
Did you experienced any problem with firewire drivers?
Thanks