Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Help with older TDM cards

Hi all, newbie here who needs some advise.

I have brought a used D24 card and DSP Farm card from Ebay which is going into a mobile G4 with 2 X 882's. The idea is this older Protools setup will be used to record 16 channels of live audio straight from a mixing desk. However since I brought the cards and 882's secondhand they didn't come with Protools software. I've done some research and it appears that PT6.4 was the last release that supports this hardware, which is fine as it's what I'm used to on my old Digi 001 system. Trouble is I can't see anywhere on the Digidesign site where I can buy it, it appears as a download but only if you have the Authorization code from the product manual .... which I didn't get with the cards !! Is it actually possible to legally purchase PT6.4 TDM as a standalone piece of software ? ?

Also once I've got the software will I experience any problems running 6.4 on the following kit ? :

Powermac G4 733Mhz, OSX10.3 1Gb ram , AGP video, 80 GIG HD, the Powermac model with the crazy handle

1 X D24 card
1 X DSP Farm
1 X 882-20
1 x 882-16

I only want to record audio at 44K 16 bit, no plugs or editing but 16 channels at once with the option of another 882, to get 24 tracks at once

Basically will this work once I have the software ?
Any help gratefully recieved.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Help with older TDM cards

6.4.1 with a new unique legal code is, I believe, $35 from DIGI. Some times it's sold out, however, eventually it comes back in stock. The Download version is always there. (If you have a problem call TELESALES and they will help you) Then you will want to d/l 6.4.1cs4 from the DIGI archive as there is a 12dB problem with sends on earlier versions. You're good to go, just put in your order. Hope this helps, best, bmd

PS: Your machine should handle what you're asking. I would record at 24 bit which will help once you go to mix on the internal fx and mix buses. I would also be looking to put the session file on the internal drive, and record to an external firewire drive. You could put a G4 upgrade in there if you do decide to do some "heavier lifting" on this box.

PS2: Get a used 1622 (it uses a special cable, only buy one that comes with this cable) which will give you 16 more ins and 20bit to go with your 882/20 and sell your 882. Just my personal friendly advice
Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 AM

Thanks for the help, that's much appreciated

I will take the advise on the 1622, luckily there seems to be a lot of PT Mix kit on Ebay at the moment so hopefully one will turn up complete with cable. I'm off to the Digistore then to find the software
Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 AM

Well I brought the software but PT 6.4 fails to start with the old "No Digidesign hardware found, please connect and turn on your hardware" message
Digitest however can see the D24 card and it passe's the diags. The DSP Farm card isn't detected by Digitest, could this need a firmware flash ? I've tried different PCI slot orders but to no avail.

Also is it still possible to buy the small internal cable that connects the cards together, mine looks like it's seen better days.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 AM

hmm so far i know there must be least a mix i/o card along with your
d24 card (if not a mix-farm or core) ...so far i remember.
i use version 6.41 on osx.39 with mix-core , -farm + dsp-farm
and it works.

regards
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Well I brought the software but PT 6.4 fails to start with the old "No Digidesign
hardware found, please connect and turn on your hardware" message
Some DSP farm cards have an AMCC chip with a 'Q' designation which means
they are not 2.1 PCI compliant (I believe) and a G4 will not see these cards. You
need either 'QC' or 'QE' for it to work in a G4. I'm guessing this is your problem.

OIder farms used to be upgradable for $75 then later $95. I don't know if it's still available.
Worth noting: I believe ALL D24 cards work in the G4.

I don't think you can run with just a D24, as it only has 1 DSP chip, however,
I would try starting 6.4 with just the D24 to see if it launches.
If that works: work on getting a used MIX farm and a QC or QE DSP Farm used.

6.4.1 definitely works with D24 & compatible DSP Farm w/little DSP.
As HD gets better and better more people are upgrading and as you say,
'the kit is available.'

The 5 Node cable you're asking about shows itself on ebay quite often for $25 to $50
(depending on the seller, of course) Although this may not be the problem.
Sorry to hear about your troubleshooting woes but you'll get it. Best!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Just to note; This happened on my PC this last weekend because it was not a FG105xx and above
serial #. When I got a PC one, it worked.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Well I brought the software but PT 6.4 fails to start with the old "No Digidesign hardware found, please connect and turn on your hardware" message
Digitest however can see the D24 card and it passe's the diags. The DSP Farm card isn't detected by Digitest, could this need a firmware flash ? I've tried different PCI slot orders but to no avail.

Also is it still possible to buy the small internal cable that connects the cards together, mine looks like it's seen better days.
6.4 or 6.4.1?

6.4 is for HD cards only
6.4.1 is for older Mix and d24 cards

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig