Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Why did Digi sell obsolete Mix cards late last yr?

I am a bit upset at Digidesign. It would have been nice if you told us Mix support would be dropped so soon considering you sold me Mix cards late last year!

So my question is this....
Should I pay an extra $20,000 to upgrade to HD
OR should I buy Logic Pro, 4 UAD-1 cards (plugins which sound FAR better than TDM) and save myself $15,000.

Bye Bye Digi.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Why did GM sell obsolete used cars late last

Why do car companies sell used? Why do technology companies sell last years model as refurb?

Digi did NOT mislead anyone. Mix still works as represented today.

Why do some people have expectations of technology standing still and not progressing?

Buy a mix system now with a dual G4 and your good for a couple of years (until the g4 dies).
Old 04-28-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Why did Digi sell obsolete Mix cards late last yr?

Do your research...it won't cost you 20 grand!!!

We are looking to move or 24 mix plus system to an HD2 accel system...doing all the research and finding out exactly what we'd need to get an identical I/O setup (actually a much more advanced and versatile I/O setup) is only going to cost around 6500. We currently have 3 888|24's and an adat bridge...exchanging the mixplus for HD2 and one of the 888|24's for a 192 I/O is going to give us a system with more versatility and better sonic quality than we currently have...and the HD cards (which blow the tdm cards clean out of the water dsp wise).

Look it all up, get quotes...and you'll probably find it to be in the same ball park as the logic pro and UAD setup.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 AM

TuT,

Gotta side with Jeremy (and Digidesign) on this one. Anyone hold a gun to your head (or worse, your dog's head...) and force you to buy that Mix card? I don't think so. You probably bought it because you got a deal on it. It will still work for some time even after support has been dropped. Enjoy what you bought and upgrade as you need to. Or, sell what you have and enjoy that UAD system. Let us know how it works out.

rcm

Old 04-28-2004, 10:37 AM

Yeah, let us how you feel about the L-L-L-L-Latency in that Logic Pro / UAD system after you've been used to dealing with a Mix 24 TDM system.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:02 PM

Depends on what you're doing, the mix stuff is nice if you're doing heavy tracking.

If you're doing more just overdubbing, you'd probably be fine with the Logic setup. If you're really interested in Logic, find someone with a decent setup and have them show you how it works.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:24 PM

personally i think you have to get used to fast upgrades when your dealing with a computer based system...everyone complaines that they want more features in their systems...then it seems they get mad when a system is developed that can do it...life goes on...mix systems still work..even the hd systems are new but no longer cutting edge...that only took a year...now if there were enough work in the music industry to support all the upgrade costs...
Old 05-03-2004, 03:44 PM

"everyone complaines that they want more features in their systems...then it seems they get mad when a system is developed that can do it..."

Features have nothing to do with hardware (at least most features).

At this point, I'd love to stay on the same hardware indefinitely since it does everything I need, but just keep getting upgraded versions of the software. Emagic and Motu have been doing it for years, it's only Digi that (artificially?) insists that older hardware can no longer do the job. It's forced obsolesence, and it's that way because they choose it, not because it has to be.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:31 PM

Quote:
At this point, I'd love to stay on the same hardware indefinitely since it does everything I need, but just keep getting upgraded versions of the software. Emagic and Motu have been doing it for years, it's only Digi that (artificially?) insists that older hardware can no longer do the job. It's forced obsolesence, and it's that way because they choose it, not because it has to be.
As a Mix owner who probably won't upgrade real soon because I can't afford it, I have to disagree with you. HD is a different platform with different DSP chips. I don't need (usually) that much DSP, but I work in post. HD improved a number of things that people were griping about. I'm happy it survived till 6.4 (sort of) that was longer than I expected. I don't need to go to HD, I will but only when I need to do 96K, and /or session compatibility is an issue or maybe if I have the bucks and it looks like a good time to move. It will get 1/2 to 2/3 of what I paid back in credit for upgrading. When was the last time you saw a five year old car worth 1/2 to 2/3 it's cost??? Never thats when.

I'm not happy about spending the money but I'm not in anyway mad at Digi.
So lighten up. The system works better and does more than when you bought it and you've paid less that a couple of basket ball tickets for the upgrades, not bad. Most of us probably aren't even using the same computer we had when we bought the Mix. How much of a trade in allowance did Apple give you? I know what they gave me.....
Old 05-04-2004, 08:43 AM

"How much of a trade in allowance did Apple give you?"

You know, I'd care more about that if the upgrade from digidesign didn't cost as much as three brand new computers from apple. Fact is, the hardware upgrade costs a ton of money and I get barely anything out of it besides the ability to go from 6.4.1 to 6.5.