Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Default best interface for video output?

i've seen mention of canopus in the forum, but i was wondering what anyone would suggest for the best interface to use for running video out of PT to a projector. thanks!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Re: best interface for video output?

depends on what you have and what you need

1) canopus is a 1 trick pony dv25 codec and a averrable offset that can change depending on session load
2) movie on a second desk top let you use just about any codec you want (anything QuickTime player will play)
3) MOJO plays most QT codecs plus most Avid codecs

I use 1 & 2 at work and I hate 1

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-08-2008, 03:45 PM

thanks for replying! i have a macbook that will be running PT. i haven't purchased a projector yet, but i'll be making the videos in final cut pro, so i assume i'll be using quicktime movies. i'm confused by what your second option means, though.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 PM

computers that let you have multipliable displays where the extra display(s) are a continuation of the primary display is referred to as Extended Desktop
most of the Mac laptops have this ability (you should check yours) if you have a newer laptop you should be able to send a DVI video signal to the projector you decide on (note DVI-D to HDMI works vary well)
I would recommend a projector capable of at least a 1080p image

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM

would the DVI feed just display whatever my computer screen is displaying? or is there a way to route just the video track in PT to the projector?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM

I believe the idea is to fill the entire extra monitor's desktop real estate with the video window, so you don't see anything else. The extra monitor (in your case, the projector) would be displaying what's on your computer desktop, but it's a unique part of the desktop (if you have it set up right -- not "clone" mode, but "extended desktop"), so will not be redundant, content-wise. So, yes, this routes just the video track in PT to the projector.

Note that "clone" and "extended desktop" are Windows terms that I know. They may or may not be the right terms for the Mac world, of which I know little.