Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Default SPDIF preamp/converter combo with 002

I am looking at getting a preamp/converter combo to take advantage of SPDIF to get those last two elusive recording tracks (17-18) with the 002. Just wondering what others are doing to get track 17 and 18 when recording. I am looking at the M-Audio DUO, which is now discontinued. I figure because it can work in stand alone mode, it will make my Sony DAT a little more useful as a backup recorder.

Other than the DUO, I think there is the Eridol UA-5 and the Apogee Mini-Me, which is a bit pricey. Maybe, even separate preamps and converters, but I'm thinking mostly mobile. Any advice or opinions?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: SPDIF preamp/converter combo with 002

I like the ART DSPII for a cheap preamp-converter combo.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:19 PM

Does this open a can of worms? a set of mic pre's coming in via lightpipe and a pair coming in via spdif....which do you sync to and what happens with the other?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-24-2004, 08:45 PM

That's a good question. I'm not sure. In fact, I hope somebody can answer this question. I'm sure it can be done, as I have read various post about people recording all 18 tracks at once. But I don't recall any discussion about the syncing issues. I occasionally use an Octopre for more mic preamps, but I always sync the 002 to the Octopre, or I get clicks.

Hey, ThirdEyeStudio, in what situations do you use the ART DSPII? Have you recorded the full 18 tracks at ance using it? How does the sound compare to the pres/converters on the 002 or 001?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:59 PM

I bought the ART TUBE DI/O for my setup and it is great. Actually only use it for acoustics that plug in. Chris Cavell uses his for bass and loves it. I will have to try that, but I use the RBI for all bass stuff. As far as the acoustics goes, it really is cool. The thing has a built in clock to so you are set there. Clock to the Lightpipe with ADAT selected and you will be fine. The Art goes up to 96k as well so that is cool.

Talking to Chris today, he gave me a killer idea. Use the damn thing for a talkback mic channel. Basically now I use channel 1 of the digi on an AUX track and just mute it, but seeing that I have the art box runnig to a patchbay for both inputs, I am going to take my cheap talkback and run to one of the channels and do the same thing, just on teh SP/DIF channel. Should work like a champ and save me some bucks for now. plus I can still get 16 ins with the regular channels and we are set.

The art is a nice way for the added channels though! Do not use it all that much, but the tube really warms it up a bit when needed and the clock is a nice feature for the money. I think that I paid right around 200 bucks for it.

ART DI/O

Hope this helps?

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-24-2004, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Doc! I have been wondering about "warming " things up a bit with a tube. I could kill two birds with one stone. The price is hard to beat, and if it's nice on acoustic and bass... another bonus. That's two votes for ART. Are there no other contenders!

About the clocking, let me see if I understand this correctly. If I clock to the octopre by selecting ADAT, then the ART will clock to the 002 automatically. So since the 002 is already clocked to the octopre, "everything" in effect will be clocked to the octopre.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:25 PM

yep.... That is how I do it. You set the clock on the ART to whatever you are working with, and the lightpipe is your master clock. Gotta make sure your clock on the ART is set to the same though. Otherwise! BAD MOJO.....

If you want to hear what it sounds like, the guy on my SOUNDS page on my site "TOM Rothman" had a Taylor C414 going to 2 Oktava 319's and direct in to the ART. The pre for the mics was the Digimax LT. Do not really use that anymore, but still for an idea.

Thanks,
- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 08-24-2004, 09:40 PM

Sorry! Fixed the link for ya!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 08-25-2004, 10:51 AM

<sitting on Santa's lap> I want one of THESE with an AC adapter to play with my S/PDIF ins on my 002!

Of course this is a $1500 solution, but when you compare Grace with ART and consider all the extra possibilities of using the Lunatec in portable situations ... well, you know ... we can have our dreams, can't we?

CrossFire Studios