Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Default Quick Mixdown

Other that bouncing to disk in real time is there anyway to do a quick audio file render for reference mixes (non realtime)?
Joe
Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Quick Mixdown

No.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack2life View Post
Other that bouncing to disk in real time is there anyway to do a quick audio file render for reference mixes (non realtime)?
Joe
Bounce after and not during process always. You don't want your computer doing to math calculations at the same time. Also, why not do a partial bounce, to give a reference to someone without them being able to pirate it away from you? I everyone's our pal in there, until they owe you 13,000 dollars like what happened to me and now NO ONE gets red book copies of my mixes until I am pain. Sorry, a little venting space.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM

scott... no doubt it is worse now with cd's... but back in the day, i had clients stiff me by taking off with rough mixes on cassette without having paid me. they shopped them as they were, and when they didn't get a record deal, the band broke up. i never got paid then either.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob turner View Post
scott... no doubt it is worse now with cd's... but back in the day, i had clients stiff me by taking off with rough mixes on cassette without having paid me. they shopped them as they were, and when they didn't get a record deal, the band broke up. i never got paid then either.
I hear ya mate...where are you in the city? Gonna go to AES AGAIN. MAybe meet?
-S
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but the last time I was working on an album, I had a stereo track set up in each session that I ran everything into. I bussed all my tracks and stems into a stereo aux track (essentially treating that as the master) and then bussed that out to my stereo track. I would just record everything into the stereo track and then exported that as the mix.

It made it so much easier to give to clients and then if they said, "You know, the sax could be a little louder in the first chorus." I would just go into the session, bring up the sax, and re-record just that part into the stereo track. Listen to the ins and outs (a lot of times there'd be a tiny drop out at the start of the new recording), re-consolidate and re-export. Super easy work-flow, especially for their longer songs.

Of course, once everything was final, I would bounce to disk in real time, but until everything was final, it was a great work around.

Brian
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Goldberg View Post
I hear ya mate...where are you in the city? Gonna go to AES AGAIN. MAybe meet?
-S
You're welcome! If you need any free passes, just let me know or call Michael Groh at Cutting Edge and tell him to help you. Basically, just go to the AES link via google and you can have free passes waiting at will call. Send me an e-mail! www.goldrecordings.com
Cheers,
Scott