Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Default How to hook up midi to Vdrums

can anyone please tell me how to set up PT LE 6.4 to control vdrums? and for vdrums to be used to record midi too? i have the vdrums connected to my Korg microkontroller keyboard which is connected to the pc via USB

this midi stuff is so confusing. thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: How to hook up midi to Vdrums

Just run the audio master outputs from the module to an open input on your digi box. You can connect via midi out on the roland to midi in on your digi box, select the roland as the input device. I'm not sure exactly about midi channels an such. I've never recorded midi from my TD-8 but I think I will give it a shot now my curiosity is up.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 11-10-2004, 09:06 PM

I run this setup(Roland TD10 kit and Digi002) all the time and here's how I do it. For recording, I feed roland midi out to the 002 midi in, create a midi track with the input set to "ALL". I also run stereo out from the TD10 to a stereo aux track in PT. Hit record and start playing. (by the way, punch-in/out works with midi). Once I get my midi recorded, patch midi out of the 002 to midi in of the TD10. Set the midi track's output to midi channel 10(generally accepted midi channel for drums/perc and happens to be the roland default setting). Now I go ahead and edit the midi track(while still monitoring thru the aux input). (set the midi track input to "NONE" to avoid a midi loop). Once I get the midi edited(I hate quantize and usually just grab/move any off-timed hits), I go to my final record step, which gets more complex. I run all 8 outputs from the TD10 to 8 line inputs on the 002. I assign the TD10 sounds as follows: 1-kick, 2-snare, 3-hat, 4-ride, 5/6-stereo toms, 7-crash 1, 8-crash 2. Create 6 mono audio tracks and 1 stereo audio track(for the toms). Put them all in record and hit play. The midi track "plays" the drums and you end up with drum tracks that can be edited and "seasoned" just like a real kit. I also like to send all the tracks (stereo aux send to a stereo aux track), and add Waves TrueVerb to create the impression of a real kit in a real room. It adds "cohesion" to the overall kit sound. I also like to aux-buss the kick, toms and snare(sometimes) to another stereo aux track and insert a compressor plugin(BF-1176 is my fav) and slam the compressor, then mix that in to fatten up the kit even more. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't that bad once you get the routine down. The TD8 will require a little different approach as you only have 4 outs. Feel free to email me if any of this isn't making sense. [email protected]

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM

thanks guys especially albee. i unfortunetly have and MBox and a TD-6 so i cant track each drum seperately but im deifinitely jealous of your setup! Maybe one day.

i actually got things to work. its way cooler than using the Drumkit from Hell plugin. I had a real tough time with that. I can play drums enough so the Vdrums actually sound very good. Im curious why you hate to qauntize. Do you find the drums sound more realistic when you manually edit?