Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2023, 11:14 PM

Default Copy Special: All Automation (except volume & pan)

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on copy/pasting multiple plugin automations across tracks and clips.

I have a dialog group of 24 tracks with the same signal chain on every channel. I have checkerboarded clips across multiple tracks. Unfortunately for me I premixed levels before automating plugins, using copy/paste all automation also copies across volume and pan.

Is there a preference or workflow I'm missing that will allow you to use Copy Special without volume and pan from one clip on one track, to another clip on another track?

Or simply, is there a quick way I can copy all plugin automation on a clip in a track, to another clip in a different track?

Any help is appreciated,
Old 06-19-2023, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Copy Special: All Automation (except volume & pan)

Hi,

You could try to duplicate the existing tracks as a way to save the pan and volume information.

Then copy / paste the plug in automation including the volume and pan, once that is done copy back only the volume and pan automation from the saved duplicate track versions.

From there you should have what you need. Plugin automation from one set of tracks and volume and pan automation from another set of tracks.

Might be another way.

Hope this help.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 06-19-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Hey all,

Looking for some advice on copy/pasting multiple plugin automations across tracks and clips.

I have a dialog group of 24 tracks with the same signal chain on every channel. I have checkerboarded clips across multiple tracks. Unfortunately for me I premixed levels before automating plugins, using copy/paste all automation also copies across volume and pan.

Is there a preference or workflow I'm missing that will allow you to use Copy Special without volume and pan from one clip on one track, to another clip on another track?

Or simply, is there a quick way I can copy all plugin automation on a clip in a track, to another clip in a different track?

Any help is appreciated,
You should investigate advanced automation features like Capture and Punch Capture, Preview, etc.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...mation-grab-go

These, in combination of enabling or disabling automation parameters, will accomplish what you’re looking for.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Hey all,

Any help is appreciated,
Edit/Copy Special/Plugin Automation

Will copy just that.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Edit/Copy Special/Plugin Automation

Will copy just that.
Heya! Thanks for this.

Unfortunately copy special: plugin automation will only copy automation lanes that are visible, which means you have to open every lane with automation data for each plugin on a channel.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You should investigate advanced automation features like Capture and Punch Capture, Preview, etc.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...mation-grab-go

These, in combination of enabling or disabling automation parameters, will accomplish what you’re looking for.
Thanks for this!

Capture/Punch Capture works with currently writing automation and on a per-channel basis as far as I'm aware, which means you can't just click on a clip capture and punch that to another clip on another track and without running playback.

Unless I'm missing something, open to being schooled.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this!

Capture/Punch Capture works with currently writing automation and on a per-channel basis as far as I'm aware, which means you can't just click on a clip capture and punch that to another clip on another track and without running playback.

Unless I'm missing something, open to being schooled.
If you select a track, or tracks while not playing back, and hold Option-Shift (Mac) and then click Capture (I use the buttons on my Dock), it will capture the static settings at that point in the timeline on the selected track(s). Then you can use Punch Capture to punch the settings elsewhere. I am not sure if this method will only capture only the parameters that are enabled in the Automation panel, or if it will capture all parameters. But it's worth trying.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
If you select a track, or tracks while not playing back, and hold Option-Shift (Mac) and then click Capture (I use the buttons on my Dock), it will capture the static settings at that point in the timeline on the selected track(s). Then you can use Punch Capture to punch the settings elsewhere. I am not sure if this method will only capture only the parameters that are enabled in the Automation panel, or if it will capture all parameters. But it's worth trying.
Awesome, thanks for your help. As far as I'm aware it will only punch onto the track(s) it was captured from, so I can't drop down to another track and punch there.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for your help. As far as I'm aware it will only punch onto the track(s) it was captured from, so I can't drop down to another track and punch there.
Ah, yes. That's true. Wish I could be more help.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:40 PM

There is a convoluted way to use capture / punch capture, between different tracks.

I was unsure in original post if you were looking to copy static or dynamic plugin automation.

If it is a static setting that you want. You can copy a small portion of the original region from track A to empty space on track B (with all automation) and then use 'option+shift capture' (disable vol and pan in automation select panel first) to load into the capture buffer the settings from the original region from track A(which now sits on track B). Now you can select a range on track B and option+Shift punch capture then write automation to all selected, to write the capture buffer to a range.

This also works across multiple tracks.

I usually use this also with preview.
So I will capture the setting then option+shift punch capture with preview mode on before writing the range.

Easy to do difficult to write.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bruno