Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2022, 10:56 PM

Default "27555" errors relating to dll files when installing

I installed Pro Tools 2022.6 on Windows 11 without a hitch, but after resetting my pc (long story) and installing it again, I got a few 27555 errors relating to dll files. I didn't note down the specifics, and pressed Ignore on each of those. I was able to open the program and a project without issue. Are the errors something to be concerned about, seeing as they didn't occur on the first round? Would it be worth a reinstall? If so, what's the best way to go about this? I used Avid Link to install PT and already installed the plugins.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:23 AM

Default Re: "27555" errors relating to dll files when installing

Oh come on, you are not new here. If you want to solve your problem you are going to need to do much better than this.

The resetting the PC (whatever that means) mystery that you don't tell us about. What exactly did you do? Why did you do it?

The error messages that you didn't bother to write down (or screenshot) and can't tell us. Like what DLL files exactly would be a huge indicator of what might be the problem.

"Open a project".. I seriously hope you meant open a session not a (flakey unreliable) cloud project.

Now you want to know if the errors you didn't tell us what they are are important or not? And how exactly would you like us to do that? Bring out an Ouija board? Pull answers out of our asses?

Where is the expected info about your computer? You don't give any info, folks here are expected to provide a SiSoft Sandra report?

It seems the best follow up for you will be to wipe the computer and do a full clean install and to get your **** together with basic organizational skills including writing down error messages etc. so you can describe exactly what you have done and exactly what has happened. It might all seem confusing to you, but it hopefully will make sense to the person you need to convince to help you. And just install Pro Tools and no other plugins or third party apps and test with that.

You should also read and followed the systems optimization steps, you need to do all that after installing Pro Tools. Start at "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

If you are not clear on your system being suitable for Pro Tools, maybe post a SiSoft Sandra report for your PC before doing more, run that report with all disk drives you plan to use attached.

I would never use Avid Link, like many users here I uninstall it straight after every Pro Tools install. It is better to know what is going on an manage stuff manually. But the real issue is Link can just be flakey. With a very messed up system you should start with a clean Windows install (ideally from Microsoft Windows installers, not OEM recovery partitions or installers, and that way you can hopefully avoid unneeded OEM crapware) and then install Pro Tools (then uninstall Link and collaboration components, uninstallers are installed on your system). Just test stuff like that for a while, an absolute minimum install. Then install any ILM updates (may not be any), other plugins etc. Checking you have the latest versions and testing as you go. Avid plugins are all available from your Avid.com account or Avid download center.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-13-2022 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

You should also read and followed the systems optimization steps, you need to do all that after installing Pro Tools. Start at "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

If you are not clear on your system being suitable for Pro Tools, maybe post a SiSoft Sandra report for your PC before doing more, run that report with all disk drives you plan to use attached.

I would never use Avid Link, like many users here I uninstall it straight after every Pro Tools install. It is better to know what is going on an manage stuff manually. But the real issue is Link can just be flakey. With a very messed up system you should start with a clean Windows install (ideally from Microsoft Windows installers, not OEM recovery partitions or installers, and that way you can hopefully avoid unneeded OEM crapware) and then install Pro Tools (then uninstall Link and collaboration components, uninstallers are installed on your system). Just test stuff like that for a while, an absolute minimum install. Then install any ILM updates (may not be any), other plugins etc. Checking you have the latest versions and testing as you go. Avid plugins are all available from your Avid.com account or Avid download center.
I reset the PC (Settings > System > Recovery > Reset this PC) because after the first time I installed Pro Tools (hereon PT) without issue on my new Microsoft Surface 4 running Windows 11, internet connectivity soon slowed to a standstill and I soon realized it was because OneDrive was syncing many gigs of software files (at C:\Users\me\OneDrive\Documents) without warning. I never encountered this issue on Windows before but I guess Surface works differently as Microsoft owns both Surface and OneDrive. Anyway, I stopped the sync and deleted the files from OneDrive and its online trash, which apparently deleted the files locally too as PT would no longer work. With as many bits and pieces as PT comes in and not being sure exactly what I deleted, I thought it would be an hours-long (plural) chore to try to fix it this way. Hence resetting the PC to start from scratch, which I was sure would be faster.

So after the reset I started from scratch, doing everything the same, including downloading Avid Link and installing PT through there, the only noted difference this time being the aforementioned errors late in the PT [main app] installation process. I tried to copy the error with Ctrl+C, which often works with Windows dialogue messages, but this time it just made that ding sound which usually signifies something isn't allowed (in this case, copying). So, remembering that much older versions of PT I used (10-12) often showed a few errors when I started up the program, yet still functioned fine, and at that point me being much less attentive with things than I normally would be, after having spent maybe a few hours on the initial install of PT + its many plugins and the PC reset, I for whatever reason thought it unnecessary to even screenshot the errors, which I wish I had done now.

I did start a local session project just to test if any errors would come up, and none did; so far so good. But in the back of my mind I'm still wondering whether those errors could bite me in the back at some point down the road when I'm working on a project.

So if there's no way to find the exact errors after the fact, I'm wondering if there's a way to uninstall just PT (not the plugins, which feel like they take forever to install since there are so many of them and since I'm using extended install because attempting to enable express install didn't work as Avid Link is not recognizing my PC username/pin credentials), and then cleanly reinstall PT without issues (issues like duplicate files due to the first install after the reset, etc). And if there is a way to do this, then I'm wondering what that way is: for example, removing the app through Windows settings (at Apps > Apps & features [EDIT: "Uninstall" is grayed out for Avid Pro Tools here, for some reason]), then reinstalling (via the normal PT installer as you seem to suggest, not Avid Link)?

Resetting the PC again, with the wait time of the reset, reinstallation of everything (PT/plugins and other apps), and Windows updates, may take a good few extra hours so is not something I want to do again if the errors were minor. But the conundrum here, I guess, is that there is no way of knowing for sure the errors were minor. Gah, I wish I had just spent some extra seconds for screenshots...

At this stage essentially I'm wondering what the fastest/cleanest way to reinstall PT is short of a PC reset. But it seems you're indicating that it would be fastest/cleanest anyway to do the reset. Which, at least for the "cleanest" component, is also what I'm leaning toward. As for the "fastest" component, I'm not so sure. And you're also suggesting to skip Avid Link next round. Which I'll definitely consider, although Avid Link seems much faster and more streamlined than the alternative, and I haven't knowingly encountered any issues through it besides the aforementioned DLL errors and PC credentials not being recognized.

On the other hand, the alternative to all of this would be to continue using PT as is, blissfully unmindful of the potentially minor errors, and cross that bridge when I come to it. Which, given the time commitment of the above, may be reasonable. I'll think about this and circle back when I have an update.

By the way, similar to a game of Where's Waldo, there are actually also a few other issues I mentioned above which I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for, as initial Google searches did not yield solutions:
- On Microsoft Surface (vs another Windows device I have PT installed on), OneDrive starts backing up many gigs of Pro Tools files by default, before I shut it off.
- Avid Link does not recognize my username/pin to enable express install (which I find is much faster and more pleasant to use than extended install). The error is "Please enter correct system's administrator credentials". I somehow got it to work on my other Windows PC and MacBook, but it's apparently not budging here.

Thanks in the meantime.

Last edited by cmhawke; 07-13-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:21 PM

Hey Connor thanks for the reply.

For the issue where you deleted some critical files when you removed them from OneDrive. A Windows restore/reset was a great choice there. I'm still a bit confused about what is going on *now*... I gather after your last post you are not getting any DLL related errors? But what exactly is happening now? If you start up Pro Tools do you get any error?

Ctrl-C not working always is maybe not a surprise, but you should be able to take a screenshot. Windows 11 has nice screenshot/snipping capability. See https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...-in-windows-11. But if that does not work for any reason then use a smartphone to photograph error message.

Are you using local Pro Tools sessions or are you using projects (that are saved in the Avid cloud). Projects are unfortunately unreliable. Can you make sure you do any testing with just local Pro Tools session files. Especially just creating new local empty sessions and playing around adding some content to make sure that works with no errors.

I see "Surface 4" and do get a bit worried. Surface laptops can be underpowered for Pro Tools, How much memory do you have in yours? Even better could you install SiSoft Sandra and share a Sandra report.

You are the only person I've heard of that has installed Link first then used it to install Pro Tools on Windows 11. Others may have, just I don't think folks have talked about doing so on DUC. It might be that's related to your problem, it might have nothing to do with it. It might be surface related. WHo knows at this point. But one thing you should certainly do is simplify stuff, which for now means don't use Link.

I would stop using Avid Link for anything and would uninstall that. And if you reinstall Pro Tools again from it's' standard installers it will install Avid Link automatically, so uninstall that again. You should go to your account in Avid.com and work out how to find both Pro Tools and the Avid plugin bundles etc. under either My Products or Download Center. I suspect you are better off using the Download Center to get the plugin installers as, at least for me, the installers in the Download Center package more of the bundle plugins into fewer installers you need to run. If you get stuck finding stuff then ask.

As for greyed out you mean in the Apps & Features control panel that Modify and Uninstall buttons are greyed out. That's a known issue (and is how it is on my Windows 10 system, even without using Link). See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-on-Windows-10. So hopefully you can run the Pro Tools uninstaller from there, and it won't remove plugins.

Then run the installer again, but I'd do that all outside of Link after unisntalling Link from the system and rebooting.

But I'm getting too far ahead here, I'm not following what your current symptoms are don't want to offer you any more advice until I do. I'm not even sure it's really worth reinstalling Pro Tools or not. But I'm so pessimistic about Link that I'd just get rid of it, vs. sorting out login stuff.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hey Connor thanks for the reply.

For the issue where you deleted some critical files when you removed them from OneDrive. A Windows restore/reset was a great choice there. I'm still a bit confused about what is going on *now*... I gather after your last post you are not getting any DLL related errors? But what exactly is happening now? If you start up Pro Tools do you get any error?

Ctrl-C not working always is maybe not a surprise, but you should be able to take a screenshot. Windows 11 has nice screenshot/snipping capability. See https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...-in-windows-11. But if that does not work for any reason then use a smartphone to photograph error message.

Are you using local Pro Tools sessions or are you using projects (that are saved in the Avid cloud). Projects are unfortunately unreliable. Can you make sure you do any testing with just local Pro Tools session files. Especially just creating new local empty sessions and playing around adding some content to make sure that works with no errors.

I see "Surface 4" and do get a bit worried. Surface laptops can be underpowered for Pro Tools, How much memory do you have in yours? Even better could you install SiSoft Sandra and share a Sandra report.

You are the only person I've heard of that has installed Link first then used it to install Pro Tools on Windows 11. Others may have, just I don't think folks have talked about doing so on DUC. It might be that's related to your problem, it might have nothing to do with it. It might be surface related. WHo knows at this point. But one thing you should certainly do is simplify stuff, which for now means don't use Link.

I would stop using Avid Link for anything and would uninstall that. And if you reinstall Pro Tools again from it's' standard installers it will install Avid Link automatically, so uninstall that again. You should go to your account in Avid.com and work out how to find both Pro Tools and the Avid plugin bundles etc. under either My Products or Download Center. I suspect you are better off using the Download Center to get the plugin installers as, at least for me, the installers in the Download Center package more of the bundle plugins into fewer installers you need to run. If you get stuck finding stuff then ask.

As for greyed out you mean in the Apps & Features control panel that Modify and Uninstall buttons are greyed out. That's a known issue (and is how it is on my Windows 10 system, even without using Link). See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-on-Windows-10. So hopefully you can run the Pro Tools uninstaller from there, and it won't remove plugins.

Then run the installer again, but I'd do that all outside of Link after unisntalling Link from the system and rebooting.

But I'm getting too far ahead here, I'm not following what your current symptoms are don't want to offer you any more advice until I do. I'm not even sure it's really worth reinstalling Pro Tools or not. But I'm so pessimistic about Link that I'd just get rid of it, vs. sorting out login stuff.
Done. Sorry, I worked it out before I saw your above response, but I've read it now.

Anyway here's what I did to fix things this time:
- reset pc (local install, not Cloud)
- Immediately opened OneDrive and disabled sync of all folders (except the seemingly required "Personal Vault")
- change Windows account type from a Microsoft account to a local account which seems necessary on Surface to create a local password, in order to enable Avid Link express install
- installed PT and all plugins via Avid Link, no errors

I understand concerns about Avid Link but using its express install for PT and 28 plugins just seems 10 times faster than the original method, which I used in the past. Anyway if I notice any issues down the road I'll definitely look into forgoing Avid Link for reinstallations, using SiSoft Sandra, etc. I've run PT on much older PCs without issue so I think Surface 4 should be sufficient for my current purposes (not making anything gargantuan etc).

Really appreciate the suggestions.