Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2021, 01:11 PM

Default >.midnam files not loading in pro tools

Pro Tools is not recognizing my patch names. I have downloaded .middev and .midnam files and placed them in their correct folders. I am using the Pro Tools 2021 trial and it's not allowing my midnam files to load. I get the following message: "MIDI server patch, file, bank, or mode information not available for this instrument". I have tried tweaking the file names making sure they match the manufacturer and instrument but without success. I have an old Yamaha Motif Rack ES that I used to use with pro tools 11 and had no problems loading patch names, now with 2021 it has a problem. I also have a Roland FA 08 Keyboard, no luck with that either. Can someone help me please, Thank you.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Re: >.midnam files not loading in pro tools

I'm not familiar with importing these files, but here is a link to a thread all about this topic. Please give it a read and hopefully it will help you out.

MIDI Patch Names

System Details
Old 08-25-2021, 08:21 AM

Default Re: >.midnam files not loading in pro tools

There are a few characters in some existing midnam files that have to be stripped out such as @ and !. If memory serves but you need to find these documented in various places providing "how to build midnam files".

Also you need to make sure all the () and {} are matching. As well as "name" quote marks are matching.

You also need to define your device in the Setup, Midi, Midi Studio list of devices. This tells PT what channels to communicate on.

Finally, your midi interface needs to be check marked in the midi devices section.

They can be a lot of trial and test but are convenient for quickly changing patches on reverbs, synths etc. I got all my midi devices set up years ago so my memory has faded on those critical characters so you will need to investigate and adjust as required. Some of the older midnam files may not work without some massaging.