Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Windows or Mac for Pro Tools 10

Say I have a Windows 7 64 bit pc and a Mac Pro with comparable specs. I was wanting to get feedback on which operating system runs Pro Tools 10 the best? And why?

Now with that question I'm going to add this. If for instance most of the answers is Win 7 or user's perferred os, what would good specs be for a custom built pc? For instance, at least an i7 with 8gb of ram, and an above average video card.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zack
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Windows or Mac for Pro Tools 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoty View Post
Say I have a Windows 7 64 bit pc and a Mac Pro with comparable specs. I was wanting to get feedback on which operating system runs Pro Tools 10 the best? And why?

Now with that question I'm going to add this. If for instance most of the answers is Win 7 or user's perferred os, what would good specs be for a custom built pc? For instance, at least an i7 with 8gb of ram, and an above average video card.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zack
In the end, it always comes down to personal preference, and slight variation in features. In my experience, Pro Tools runs a bit smoother on a Mac, but plenty of Windows users will tell you otherwise. So it comes down to how much you want to spend, and which OS you prefer.

A couple things to consider:

OSX runs all audio devices and software through CoreAudio. Meaning, if a device runs on a Mac, it will most likely work fine with Pro Tools, including the onboard audio card. On Windows, the interface requires an ASIO driver, which not all devices have, ESPECIALLY onboard sound cards. ASIO4all may remedy this, but not always.

OSX also has a feature called Aggregate I/O, allowing you to combine multiple interfaces to be seen as a single device for use in Pro Tools. This is not available on Windows.

A Mac comes with a heftier pricetag, for sure, but tends to work great right out of the box. A PC you should build yourself if you want to ensure compatibility and stability. Dells, HPs, etc can be extremely touch and go and certainly are not built with a DAW in mind. There are plenty of great threads here to help you get going on a PC build, however. Building your own tower will also be the most inexpensive option, and you have some peace of mind knowing exactly what you're getting.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Another little difference is that some Avid interfaces have the option of running at lower buffers on Macs than on Windows boxes. For example, a 003R has the option to run at 32 on a Mac while it can only go as low as 64 on a Windows machine.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM

I have tried both, and the Mac wins by a mile in my opinion. Zero fan noise, countless plug-ins work with no crashes, much speedier, somehow all feels better, too. And looks much prettier. I've used Windows machines for 10 years, Mac for one, and I would never go back to Windows.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM

I use both, and see no practical advantage between the two as long as everything is set up correctly. If you don't have the patience or knowledge to build and optimize PCs, then a Mac is for you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM

I'm with TOM on this one. i use both a Windows/003 system and a Mac Pro/HD3 system. Both are about equal in issues and pretty darn close in how large a session they will run smoothly. If you are comfy on a Mac, I see no reason to not go that route if you can afford it. If cash is tight, then do your homework and buy/build a computer with known-compatible parts and set it up correctly, and either way, you will be able to get lots of work done

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Been building PC towers for a very long time, I agree with both Tom and Albee.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM

If you're planning on using a lot of VSL products (the Vienna Ensemble Pro people), one of their software developers had some interesting things to say about Windows performing better than a Mac with their products:
http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/...51.aspx#192151
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 AM

LOL !! This is not something that should be asked ! :) I've been using PCs for Years ... Nothing comes closer to a Mac Performance with Pro Tools from version 7 up till 10 !!

Cheers ..
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emspace View Post
If you're planning on using a lot of VSL products (the Vienna Ensemble Pro people), one of their software developers had some interesting things to say about Windows performing better than a Mac with their products:
http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/...51.aspx#192151
That's interesting! I was already thinking of trying Windows 7 through Bootcamp due to it being cheaper than upgrading all my plugs that lost compatibility in OS Lion. PT 10 is running very smooth on the Mac though.