Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Mbox 3 - No Playback or System Sounds

OK - A frustrating experience with Avid so far, I am hoping that this is a minor speedbump in what will be eventually a beautiful friendship

My first Mbox was faulty with input channel one providing nothing but fuzz and hiss. It was immediately replaced by the retailer upon testing and confirming the problem. I have now brought the new box home.

My Problem with the new Mbox - NO Playback Audio, NO System Sounds.

I am on Windows 7 - 64 Bit, iCore 7 with 8 GB ram, 3.2 Ghz.
Fresh format and install, nothing else installed
Integrated soundcard DISABLED
Protools Express that came WITH the Mbox
Monitor speakers plugged into Digital out (also tried monitor ports)
Headphones plugged into the front headphone port

Scenario 1:

I arm a track for recording, select the Mbox port 1 (Analog 1) as input and Mbox (Out 1-2 Stereo --> Analog 1-2) as the output.

While recording, I can monitor audio just fine in both the headphones and the monitor speakers.

However, when I playback, there is no sound whatsoever.

Scenario 2:

System Sounds... I can open a song in windows media player, and select the Mbox as the output, I can even open the windows mixer and see the green level indicator move. Still... I am hearing nothing out of the headphones or the monitor speakers.

Workaround:

I have discovered a workaround by enabling my internal soundcard and routing all playback through it. I would prefer to know what I am doing wrong to the Mbox or the software. I REALLY do not want to go back to the dealer.

Any Help is appreciated.

Thank You,

Jack
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 - No Playback or System Sounds

What type of monitors are you using?
Do they actually have Digital inputs or are you confusing normal RCA jack as being SPDIF?

Also does PT Express use the Control Console like normal versions of PT do with the mBox 3?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

The monitors are 2.1 Roland speakers. I have used both the normal RCA jacks and the Digital input. No confusion, I have tried choosing every output in the software.

Yes, PT Express uses the control panel, maybe I am missing a "monitor" switch? or a volume setting?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Post a picture of your I/O routing and of the Control Console that will allow us to see how things are setup.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Hi Ski,

Can you let me know if this works? I have uploaded to my facebook.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...41706920_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...41706920_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...39574745_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...38390374_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...74910337_n.jpg
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Ok, I feed my PT interfaces digital to my Central Station using S/PDIF and this should help your routing.

Change the audition path and Output bus path to S/PDIF Left+Right in the I/O window.
Change your Channel Outputs in the PT MIX Window to S/PDIF Left+Right.
This includes any channels, Aux, Audio, Master Fader etc, that you want to go to your Mix Bus.

Not sure why your faders are greyed out in the Control Console Analog 1/2 tab?

Also I always disable Host Control so that I can access all the inputs/outputs of the mBox at all times.
Example; if Host Control is enabled PT will take control of the interface and the only way I can hear non-PT related sound is to route it through PT.
If Host Control is disabled PT will share the interface so I can run external sounds from my mixer, other laptop or DJ setup through the interface while PT plays a session without it going through PT.
Really helpful for remixing or trying ideas out on the fly.