Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Default upgrading to PT10 with PTIEP regarding Structure

I just bought the upgrade from 9 to 10. And have one question before I start.

Will the PTIEP plugs be infected by this? And by that I mean Structure. The others should be fine I assume. I can't turn off "structure free" in the "AVID virtual instrments" installer. Does that installer mess-up my full structure plugin in any way?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Default Re: upgrading to PT10 with PTIEP regarding Structure

PT10 regular installer and the VI 10 installer.
(2 installers) the VI installer lets you point to your library if on another drive.
"Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_Installer_73465.d mg'
All my structure and others are all fine.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks!

You did uninstall 9 before installing 10? Or just installed 10 as upgrade over 9?

I'm never really really thoughtfull with this stuff and usually just update OSs, software and whatnot without much thought. Everything always keeps working... Don't know why I'm starting to be uptight about it now tbh...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM

The Avid Virtual Instruments Installer will ONLY install the free instruments that come with Pro Tools like Boom, DB-33, Vacuum, Xpand2 and Structure Free. It will NOT install Strike, Transfuser, Hybrid, Velvet or the the full Structure.

If you want to install the PTIEP you have to download the PTIEP installers from your Avid Account. Structure works fine and is seen as the full version.

I do have some problems though with the PTIEP and am trying to find out with this post Strike and Transfuser iLok licenses not recognized in PT 10 whether others have encountered this as well.

Transfuser and Strike refuse to see their iLok licenses anymore after I installed the PTIEP. So be aware!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
The Avid Virtual Instruments Installer will ONLY install the free instruments that come with Pro Tools like Boom, DB-33, Vacuum, Xpand2 and Structure Free. It will NOT install Strike, Transfuser, Hybrid, Velvet or the the full Structure.

If you want to install the PTIEP you have to download the PTIEP installers from your Avid Account. Structure works fine and is seen as the full version.

I do have some problems though with the PTIEP and am trying to find out with this post Strike and Transfuser iLok licenses not recognized in PT 10 whether others have encountered this as well.

Transfuser and Strike refuse to see their iLok licenses anymore after I installed the PTIEP. So be aware!!
I fully get your first part. I knew that. I already have PT9 and the PTIEP installed. My question was merely whether that free instrument installer installs structure free. If yes, will the free version mess with the full version that is already installed? Mess up the library(paths) etc.?

I've had some issues with structure and structure free clashing in Pro tools before. Including only having "structure free" as a name in my plugins list in PT but it being Sturcture full when inserting it on a channel. It's better than the other way around, but it would be nice if AVID put a "I own strucutre so don't install structure free" check-box in the installer or have it recognize the plugin in my plugin folder automatically and simply skipping it.

Given that history, If Protools has trouble discerning between "structure full" and "structure free", will a PT 9 uninstall delete stuff that belongs to "structure full" because it doesn't see the difference between "structure Full" and "structure Free"?

Apart from all this it's gonna install several GBs of redundant samples on my HD that I don't need and have to hunt down to delete again. AVID could've come up with a bit more flexible installer...

Sorry to hear about your issues btw.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

The Avid Virtual Instrument Installer should not mess with your Structure version but it is wise nonetheless when upgrading to first install the Avid Virtual Instruments Installer of version 10 and then install the full version of Structure.

That way you are sure Structure has the right version.

It is advised by Avid that if you want to work under Lion (not sure if you do) you should install everything fresh. I had to do that because upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion after upgrading PT 9 to 10 gave me all sorts of problems.

Not that I am now problem free
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
The Avid Virtual Instrument Installer should not mess with your Structure version but it is wise nonetheless when upgrading to first install the Avid Virtual Instruments Installer of version 10 and then install the full version of Structure.

That way you are sure Structure has the right version.

It is advised by Avid that if you want to work under Lion (not sure if you do) you should install everything fresh. I had to do that because upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion after upgrading PT 9 to 10 gave me all sorts of problems.

Not that I am now problem free
Hadn't thought of that tbh...

I got a MBP on Lion (clean install no update) + PT9.0.5, but my Imac is still on SL + 9.0.4(? (the one before 9.0.5... )).

My MBP is trouble free on Lion with all but one (cakewalk still uses Rosetta for their installers ) plugs I have. Might as well use PT10 as an excuse to jump to Lion on the imac as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM

It takes some time but it's worth to upgrade to Lion.

I fixed my problems and 10 runs very very smoothly now.

And boy has it become fast! Especially with the disk cache function it is Flying
Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
PT10 regular installer and the VI 10 installer.
(2 installers) the VI installer lets you point to your library if on another drive.
"Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_Installer_73465.d mg'
All my structure and others are all fine.
Misinformation, do not follow this posters advice.