Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 02:30 AM

Default The facts (!) regarding new mysterious Digi HW?

Okey, so I'm in need for some more accel cards and was just wondering if I'm doing a stupid investment or not with respect to all the of rumors floating around about this new mysterious digi/pt hardware.

What are the facts about this? The facts, not vibes or feelings, PLEASE.
I'm more of a 'see it to believe it kind of guy'.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM

Default Re: The facts (!) regarding new mysterious Digi HW?

Nobody but Avid and some factory in China knows.

So no need to ask us - we don't have the FACTS.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 AM

Smile Re: The facts (!) regarding new mysterious Digi HW?

There are none!

I have not heard of any beta or preview hardware. Only rumors and speculation. So buy another Accel card or two or how many you may need. Work today and deal with the "new" hardware and it's specs and requirements when it get here. At least thats my plan.

Apple Powerbook 1.33GHZ/ M-Box 2
OSX 10.5.8/PT LE 7.4.2
Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 AM

nod25: you are implying there is new hardware... in production? hehe...

louis: yeah, i'm sticking with that plan, I didn't have the time to dwell in all the rumor threads... :)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negation View Post
What are the facts about this? The facts, not vibes or feelings, PLEASE.
I'm more of a 'see it to believe it kind of guy'.

Thanks!
the second funniest post this week!!

Keep them coming the hilarity

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 AM

Chris: I'm glad to make you smile but it actually was a serious question. I guess I'm lagging behind in the "debate"?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Here is a clue.

http://www.protoolerblog.com/2009/12...holm/#comments
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 AM

DO you honestly think that with the mammoth TROUBLE digiAVID are obviously having with Protools and Snow Leopard that they are able to launch a new hardware????

I think not.

They are lacking totally behind

RTAS VI integration
AIR - Especially STRUCTURE VI support
Protools HD and SL integration.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
DO you honestly think that with the mammoth TROUBLE digiAVID are obviously having with Protools and Snow Leopard that they are able to launch a new hardware????

I think not.

They are lacking totally behind

RTAS VI integration
AIR - Especially STRUCTURE VI support
Protools HD and SL integration.
i wonder what would happen to me if i said something like that in here?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM

25Ghosts,

I disagree strongly with your analysis of where Avid are. The fact they could get a pre-release version of PT HD/LE out of the door in such a short time after Snow Leopard was released goes to show that they have been observing the development of that new OS closely. Yes the pre-release is not up to production standards but they openly admitted that when making it available.

The design of hardware will have continued regardless of what software they end up tacking onto it. Just cause Apple are bringing out new machines next year doesn't mean the software team are stopping development of OS X, iTunes etc…

The EoSS announcement goes to show that they are independent entities. The software team has been designing features that have been limited by things the hardware team have done in the past. The TDM architecture will have become a hindrance to certain elements of the software design. Ending support for Mix systems means that they are no longer constrained by technical limitations of those chips and opens the way for development of features that would have not been viable if they had continued support.

Apple have caused their fair share of problems. Dropping the PCI compatible interfaces meant that Digidesign were forced into developing cards that are compatible. Dropping PPC support from Snow Leopard has meant that companies are being forced to update software and architectures to match their choices. All the while the Windows boxes have continued to devolve and windows has changed it's operating procedures. Added a 64bit version alongside the 32 bit version with the ability to still install XP if you want on a new system etc etc. VARIABLES

Hardware companies have it tough. Software companies have it tough. A company that does both in a market that is so demanding have it incredibly tough at the moment and I think that having people whinge about the fact that it's taking longer than three months to bring their software/hardware up to production ready compatibility are being incredibly unfair and unreasonable.

They are making choices based on what is best for the majority. Yet there's a vocal minority here who are constantly spreading FUD about the future of the company, the direction that management are taking and pretty much anything else they can think to moan about.

There are no facts because the people that know what could be classed as facts are under NDA's. The fact is that hardware is changing, software is changing, and the products that are released 6 months to 2 years from now will have to cope with, adapt to and in some cases foresee challenges that no-one has comprehended yet.

Avid is a market leader and they will continue to lead those markets by being active rather than reactive to shifts in workflow, technology and computing as we go forward.

Sorry for the rant but a series of threads here over the past few weeks have really gotten to me and I've bitten my tongue till now.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor