Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Can Someone Please remind what this means...?

Between all the updates and upgrades and all the other technical stuff that gets in the way of making music, I know I've seen this one before, but at this moment I just can't remember what this symptom indicates...

whenever I press a "bypass" button on a plug, or switch between input and playback, or any number of other "switches" in pro tools, I get a large and very nasty click. I know I've seen this one before, so if someone offhand happens to know exactly what it is, please inform me as I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that I may have a hardware issue here. I recently had some unwieldy issues with my rig that led me to finally rebuilding my startup drive from scratch (something I've never had to do before, what a complete time-suck) and what was even weirder was that when my regular startup drive got screwed up and wouldn't run PT without creating another user, my clone also got screwed up - bizarre.

At this point, I'm losing confidence in my gear and really need to pin this down quickly and carry on with the work at hand. Could it be bad RAM? My RAM tests fine with Apple Hardware Test and memtest and Digitest says that my HD cards are good - of course we all know that these tests are largely inconclusive.

HD2 Accel, Mac Dual 2G G5, 4GB RAM, Rosetta 800 / X-HD

Much Thanks for any help!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Can Someone Please remind what this means...?

Whenever I've had severe popping from switching plugs, assigning outputs, etc, a restart of the computer fixed it.

I hope this isn't more serious than a restart for you.

PT7.4.1 HD2, G5 Dual 2.3PPC, 4GBRam
Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Hi,

Its usually caused by one specific plugin, more often than not its an effect plugin and usually RTAS. have you got TL Space, Echoboy, Altiverb or similar on an fx bus?

Try muting all your channels and unmute one at a time etc till you find the culprit.

Can also be caused by clocking issues with digital ourboard routed in to pro tools mixer.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM

Re you running delay compensation? I notice it a lot more when so.