Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Re: iMac 5K and PT12 ?

In case you have not considered that you still have time to manage to get Pro Tools 12 until your iMac will be delivered in
a few weeks.
If you know it already, you already have got the Pro Tools 12 installer in your Avid account and you only meant to upgrade
your current PT10 to PT12, it´s no big deal as for Pro tools itself.
You will not need PT10 anymore, even not to upgrade. You just have to go to your Avid account, download the latest PT12
installer, the PT12 AIR Effects Bundle. the PT12 AIR Instruments Bundle and Xpand!2, install it all on your OS drive and you
will have a complete Pro Tools 12 application on your system finally.

Hey VRW, wow Thanks for that detailed response !!!
I checked my account at Avid and there is only 10.3.10 upgrade. However i learned that i can get an upgrade for 299U$.since i have the PT 10 license. It says get "Upgrade to Pro Tools 12—available to Pro Tools 9 and higher perpetual license owners
Get on a plan for $299 the first year and renew for $99/year thereafter through your Avid account
Add the optional All Access Plug-in and Support plan for $99/year"

Not sure exactly what the All access Plug-in & Support plan is?

However if I purchase it now, (BTW I have the iLok 2 and my account is linked… hope that's a good thing?) i will have to download it to my glitchy MBP which keeps crashing all the time. So much so that i may not be able to download 12.5 at all … i wonder if i can do it some other way like downloading it to an external drive?
even if i do manage to download it, will i have to first uninstall PT 10 ?

Any particular reason you to say download PT12 BEFORE the new Mac arrives?

Would it be ok if I wait and download PT 12 directly onto the new Mac ? ( after optimisation of course…)

At the moment I am just using the stock PT Plug ins only as the mixing is being done by a friend who has his own MacPro rig and is much more knowledgable than i on the subject… (He has Waves and other Plug ins and PT12) so does that mean that i will automatically receive the new AAX stock Plug ins with PT12?

Sorry for asking all these questions… I have been out of touch with the new developments for some time due to health issues and was just trying to get back into recording after a long hiatus when my MBP crashed...
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RythmSurfer View Post
I checked my account at Avid and there is only 10.3.10 upgrade. However i learned that i can get an upgrade for 299U$.since i have the PT 10 license. It says get "Upgrade to Pro Tools 12—available to Pro Tools 9 and higher perpetual license owners
Hey, that´s great! And it´s new...
Avid have quietly brought back an upgrade option for PT9/10/11 users obviously.

Quote:
Get on a plan for $299 the first year and renew for $99/year thereafter through your Avid account
Add the optional All Access Plug-in and Support plan for $99/year"

Not sure exactly what the All access Plug-in & Support plan is?
The All Access Plugin and Support Plan is an additional option to the regular update/upgrade plan which will
give you access to a bunch of nice Avid plugins as well as allow you to make use of continuos support by Avid
(which you normally will have to pay for). Scroll a bit down to see the plugin bundle.
http://www.avidblogs.com/new-plug-in...tools-hd-12-2/
If you have a lot of 3rd party plugins those additional Avid plugins might not be of great use for you. If you
only use stock plugins it could be a nice addition though. Important to know...you will have to renew this All
Access Plugin and Support Plan every year as well if you will want to use these additional plugins further on.

Means, you will have to pay $99.- for updates/upgrades AND another $99.- for the additional plugins (+the
support) every year if you want to use it.
As mentioned before if you don´t need the additional plugins+the support, you can only go for the $99.-
update/upgrade plan as well.

As for the other stuff it´s like that...you will buy 2 different things for these $299.-.
1) a perpetual combo license for PT12/11/10 which you definitely will own like your Pro Tools software before.
However this license will NOT include any further updates or upgrades for your Pro Tools DAW.
2) 1 year of updates/upgrades, no matter if sub-updates (12.1-12.5 etc) or upgrades to another main version
of Pro Tools (12-13 etc) it will be included in the upgrade plan and you will not have to pay anything extra.

While you will own part 1 for good (the combo license), you will have to renew part 2 (the update/upgrade plan)
every year for $99.- to receive further updates and upgrades. However if you ever should decide to NOT renew
the upgrade plan anymore, your Pro Tools software will continue to work without any limitations with the latest
update you will have got before cancelling the plan. You will not receive any further updates/upgrades though.
That´s the deal.

Quote:
However if I purchase it now, (BTW I have the iLok 2 and my account is linked… hope that's a good thing?) i will have to download it to my glitchy MBP which keeps crashing all the time. So much so that i may not be able to download 12.5 at all … i wonder if i can do it some other way like downloading it to an external drive?
even if i do manage to download it, will i have to first uninstall PT 10 ?

Any particular reason you to say download PT12 BEFORE the new Mac arrives?

Would it be ok if I wait and download PT 12 directly onto the new Mac ? ( after optimisation of course…)
Yeah, you definitely should wait to do all the stuff with your new computer. I even would wait to do the whole upgrade
purchase and activation process with the new iMac. You should not risk anything while the activation process if your
current computer is that unreliable. It is not necessary to do it earlier. You can just start it all with your new iMac.

Quote:
At the moment I am just using the stock PT Plug ins only as the mixing is being done by a friend who has his own MacPro rig and is much more knowledgable than i on the subject… (He has Waves and other Plug ins and PT12) so does that mean that i will automatically receive the new AAX stock Plug ins with PT12?
If you are only using the PT stock plugins you need not to worry, you will be covered. All PT stock plugins do come in
the new AAX 64bit format of course and Avid have included even more really nice and useable stock plugins. You will like it.
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/all-included-plug-ins

To be fair Pro Tools has never been more attractive and offering more than with version 12.5!

Quote:
Sorry for asking all these questions… I have been out of touch with the new developments for some time due to health issues and was just trying to get back into recording after a long hiatus when my MBP crashed...
No problem.
Wishing you all the very best, a good health and lots of fun with your new equipment!

Cheers, VRW
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM

No problem.
Wishing you all the very best, a good health and lots of fun with your new equipment!

Cheers, VRW[/QUOTE]

Hey VRW,
Much thanks for all your advice which has been very valuable to me! Thank God for this DUC community! Its simply awesome!
So if i decide to get the All access plug-ins, I can use it only for 1 year? if I don't renew the subscription the next year, the plug-ins that were being used will become unusable?

Btw, would love to know if you are a recording/Studio engineer or a musician or both?

Cheers
Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
So if i decide to get the All access plug-ins, I can use it only for 1 year? if I don't renew the subscription the next year, the plug-ins that were being used will become unusable?
Yes. Both, the update/upgrade plan as well as the all access plugins+support plan you will have to renew every year. Either will be $99.- per year. If you will not renew the update/upgrade plan, you will not receive further updates and upgrades for your Pro Tools DAW anymore. If you will not renew the all access plugins+support plan, you will not be able to use these additional Avid bonus plugins and not receive free continuous Avid support anymore.

However your Pro Tools DAW (as of the last update before skipping the plan) will continue working without any limitations though (for good). So will do all the Avid stock plugins which comes with the basic Pro Tools DAW software of course.

I started out as a singer and composer, decided to do all the recording stuff myself one day, continued playing and producing first my own, later other people's stuff and got into the recording/studio scene by the time finally.

Again the very best to you and have fun!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:06 AM

Hello all.

I have a small contribution to make after reading the posts. Regarding the fan noise, you can download SMC fan control. It's free and gives control over the fan along with providing the current temp. info.