Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Default ARTIST MIX: How do I stop folder tracks showing up on faders

Sorry for a basic question but I haven't been able to work it out.

I've just started using non-routing Folders to organise the tracks in a session. They show up by default on the Artist Mix hardware faders.

Is there some way of preventing them from doing this. I seem to remember that there was a dialog box which gave you the option of excluding various types of tracks (MIDI, Auxs etc) but that might have been my imagination!

Any ideas much appreciated.

PS Just to clarify, I want the audio tracks contained within the folder to be displayed when "a fader slot is defined as "auto assigned" but I don't want the actual containing folder to show up and take up a precious fader.

Last edited by amathie; 10-20-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: To clarify wording
Old 10-25-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Re: ARTIST MIX: How do I stop folder tracks showing up on faders

Hmmm, can you move these basic folder tracks around independently of their "child" tracks? If you can, you could move them all to the far right(or left) of the MIX window. Alternately, can you hide them without affecting the rest of the tracks? If none of that works, hopefully someone else has some ideas

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Avid

One workflow for this is to close all the folders. Then double tap the Sel button to reveal the tracks in that folder. Work on them and then close the folder again and open another. Currently there is no way to hide these from the surface unless you make Inactive or hidden in PT...but then you can't get to the tracks in them.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
One workflow for this is to close all the folders. Then double tap the Sel button to reveal the tracks in that folder. Work on them and then close the folder again and open another. Currently there is no way to hide these from the surface unless you make Inactive or hidden in PT...but then you can't get to the tracks in them.
Yes, that seems to work, although I haven't been able to get the contained tracks to reveal themselves when double tapping the Select button (I'll give that another go); but I can open the folder from the Pro Tools interface with a simple mouse click.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying out the above method which I'm quite liking. I start with just four closed folder tracks occupying the first four left hand faders (so far very neat and in control) and then open one of the folders so that the contained tracks spill out on to the faders.

Just one bit of advice needed here. I know that by double tapping the Sel button, that folder track opens but then how do I close the folder to get back to where I started with the four closed folders visible. On double tapping the Set button, the folder track on the hardware surface is overwritten by the 1st track within the folder. Is there a button or command on the Artist Mix to close the folder? I can do it with a mouse click on the Pro Tools GUI but it would be nice if there was a hardware option.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:22 AM

In EuControl setting, check the preference for Assign VCA Master/Folder track to S1/S3/Artist.

This will keep the master folder track on one of the faders on the surface. Double press Sel on this fader and you will unspill. Keep in mind that you will lose a fader space for your unspilled tracks. If your using Avid Control on a tablet, you can also unspill by tapping the folder in Avid Control.

See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG image.jpg (21.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 646FAA12-E7D9-4F9C-9DED-3D381E76392D.jpg (40.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2022, 08:40 AM

Depending on your settings, the folder track, when open, moves to a different fader. You double tap on that folder track SEL and it closes the folder again and returns to all closed folder.
In Single-Master Mode, that folder track goes to the far right track or the Dock fader (depending on the setting in Eucontrol > Preferences tab)
Old 10-30-2022, 11:45 AM
Avid

Look on the Preferences tab in EuControl/ VCA/Folder Spill......Single Master Mode. Set to S1/S3/Artist (Not Dock)
Old 10-27-2022, 02:34 AM

No they won't acutally. The child tracks stay next to the containing folder when the folder is open.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:41 PM

I would suggest you move all tracks out of the folders, delete the folders and carry on as you did before folders were introduced to Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~