Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Apogee AD16X and HDX compatibility announced

Hello all,

I just hung with Apogee Support. They have confirmed that they are working on compatibility with ProTools HD 10 and HDX systems. Information was scarce, they wouldn't confirm if they were emulating the new I/Os, but the good news is that my old trusted AD16Xs and DA16Xs will work for some more time without the huge expense of having to change the interfaces.

The information is listed in their website, if you navigate to their Sales items, look under AD and DA16X and you'll find:
"Pro Tools 10 and HDX support expected Q1 2012"

Also, they have confirmed they were working on upgrading the Symphony Mobile system to work with OSX Lion.

All good news!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Apogee AD16X and HDX compatibility announced

do you have a web link?

I can't find a page there called 'Sales" (as you called it) nor can i find the info you mention

thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
do you have a web link?

I can't find a page there called 'Sales" (as you called it) nor can i find the info you mention

thanks
Confirmed - there is no such page on the Apogee site. There is a page for the Apogee STORE but nothing called 'Sales'. Also cannot find the info the op was talking about. There are pages for the AD16X and DA16X if you do a search on their site but nothing mentioned about possible support for HDX cards.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM

On the front page of Apogee's site there is a link to a sale they are having on their "classic" and discontinued items. If you click there you get to a page with several items, including the AD16X and DA16x. For the ProTools text I quoted, look at the AD16X with the HD option.

Here's the link:

https://store.apogeedigital.com/clas...e-hardware.php
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM

But no announcement for Symphony I/O? Why would they announce future compatibility for a legacy product and not their flagship product?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
But no announcement for Symphony I/O? Why would they announce future compatibility for a legacy product and not their flagship product?
Probably because the Symphony I/O already is compatible with future versions of PT. The PT compatibility is already built-in to the Symphony - it is switchable between being able to be hooked up to (and used with) Avid cards and being able to be used with the Symphony 64 card. As well as USB connection.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM

I have tested AD-16X with a HDX system - it does not work.
Apogee is looking for a fix.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Probably because the Symphony I/O already is compatible with future versions of PT. The PT compatibility is already built-in to the Symphony - it is switchable between being able to be hooked up to (and used with) Avid cards and being able to be used with the Symphony 64 card. As well as USB connection.
The built-in port currently only works with TDM. AFAIK, they are working on a firmware fix that will allow it to work with HDX cards. I just find it strange that they would bury an announcement like that on a discontinued, legacy product page and not make it known that they are working on updating their flagship product.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The built-in port currently only works with TDM. AFAIK, they are working on a firmware fix that will allow it to work with HDX cards. I just find it strange that they would bury an announcement like that on a discontinued, legacy product page and not make it known that they are working on updating their flagship product.
Scott:
Not to get argumentative or question what you're saying, but did you find this out yourself or get this from Apogee? Because we all know manufacturers will use any kind of weasel statement to shed themselves of liability or responsibility. It's weird the Symphony I/O won't work with HDX seeing as how the HDX cards are nothing more than a Native card with dsp on it, especially considering the Native cards are contemporary with the Symphony I/O boxes.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM

I did have a conversation with someone at Apogee who assured me that they were working on HDX compatibilityn for the Symphony I/O. I may have misspoke regarding Symphony only working with TDM. I should have said TDM & HD Native, but not HDX.

On Apogee's current Symphony I/O compatibility page it says:

About Pro Tools | HD Native compatibility:
Because the new Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card offers legacy support for Digidesign 192 interfaces,
Symphony I/O should connect and perform without issue while running in Pro Tools HD Audio
Interface Mode. We will confirm this once the Pro Tools | HD Native card is available.
(posted 10/08/2010)

Obviously, this is a bit old...
But on their Symphony I/O FAQ page: Q: Will Symphony I/O connect to the Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card?

A: Symphony I/O is compatible with the Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card while running

in Pro Tools HD Audio Interface Mode.

There is no mention of HDX, that I can find, on any of the Symphony I/O pages.
I hope that clears my statements up a bit. Sorry for the confusion!!